Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   projects & restorations (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   1971 142S "I'll keep this one" (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=348262)

vwbusman66 03-21-2019 07:48 PM

1971 142S "I'll keep this one"
 
I spotted this car in southwestern PA while antiquing with a few friends in mid-January and had to go talk to the owner. Looked the car over, agreed on a price, got some details, and figured out a time I could bring him cash. Well, today, I bought the car and got all the paperwork squared away. When the semester ends, I'm going to get a uHaul and trailer and trailer it home.

I bought it under the impression that the rebuilt cylinder head had the wrong valves installed. The owner (Ray) said that after he had the head rebuilt (burnt exhaust valve), it was spitting out of the carburetor. He figured they used the wrong size valves. After picking up a battery and some starting fluid, I got the car to idle for more than 2 seconds and was able to look around. I pulled the valve cover thinking that maybe the valves were adjusted poorly. After letting it run, I realized that a valve on cylinders 2 and 3 was not moving at all. I suspect its either a mushroomed lifter or wiped cam lobe.

I aired up the tires and took it for a lap around the block. I definitely blew a brake line or something because the full reservoir was low on one of the circuits after the "drive". All the lights and stuff work, but the blower motor doesn't come on. It's nearly rust free and was supposedly garaged its whole life up until last year.

Anyway, enough with the chat- here are the pictures. He was the 3rd owner, bought it in 08 with the burnt valve. The car still has the original key and original owners manuals with both prior owner's names. The paint is 98% original (a few touches up spots are there) and it has only 131k miles. The car was only driven 5 miles between 2008 and today, when I bought it.

https://i.imgur.com/sadaBefl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CwJhyDrl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BhCmqGbl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RX837UOl.jpg

NotSoFresh 03-22-2019 12:29 AM

Well lets see, at 131kms, it is likely the bottom end is good. So since the valve is burnt and the seat will need to be cut, might as well port the head, you know, while you are in there..... And you said the cam lobe was wiped? Better get a new cam, only one with bigger bumps so they don't wear down as fast. Skim the head, you know for gasket sealing and all. Since we went this far, a set of Weber dcoe clone throttle bodies and megasquirt. ...Then and only then should you install the 150 shot and send it.

PAULDRIVER 03-22-2019 05:07 AM

Looks nice :cool:

stick70 03-22-2019 08:20 AM

Looks like a solid project. Have fun!

vwbusman66 03-22-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSoFresh (Post 5929489)
Well lets see, at 131kms, it is likely the bottom end is good. So since the valve is burnt and the seat will need to be cut, might as well port the head, you know, while you are in there..... And you said the cam lobe was wiped? Better get a new cam, only one with bigger bumps so they don't wear down as fast. Skim the head, you know for gasket sealing and all. Since we went this far, a set of Weber dcoe clone throttle bodies and megasquirt. ...Then and only then should you install the 150 shot and send it.

The head was already rebuilt- now it needs a cam. Im scheming to pull the head and cc it to see where my scr is at. I will do an Isky street torque cam or D cam with fresh lifters and pushrods for more fun. I may keep the HIF44s or go to dual cable actuated DHLA/DCOEs depending on the wanted seat dyno power.

EDIT: also rockauto aluminum cam gears

sspony 03-25-2019 01:37 PM

Awesome! I think I actually saw that car parked in a driveway a couple years ago! Near Uniontown maybe? Glad to see someone picked it up and is putting it back on the road. Plus then I wont be tempted buy it haha.

Cwazywazy 03-25-2019 03:01 PM

Turbo when

vwbusman66 03-25-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sspony (Post 5930902)
Awesome! I think I actually saw that car parked in a driveway a couple years ago! Near Uniontown maybe? Glad to see someone picked it up and is putting it back on the road. Plus then I wont be tempted buy it haha.

I'd put good money on this being that car. This car came from Uniontown.
Old man (3rd owner and car dealer) Ray had only driven it 5 miles since buying it from the 2nd owner in 2008, but he threw nearly $2000 in parts at it.

vwbusman66 03-25-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cwazywazy (Post 5931011)
Turbo when

Patience. Once I'm satisfied with getting everything cleaned up and running happy, I have a full T5 setup sitting in the garage, as well as an adequately sized turbo and FI intake.

sksmith 03-25-2019 08:44 PM

Are you planning to turbo the B20?
That's what I'm assuming from your thread in the wanted section.
Be cool to see this!
Steve

vwbusman66 03-25-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sksmith (Post 5931179)
Are you planning to turbo the B20?
That's what I'm assuming from your thread in the wanted section.
Be cool to see this!
Steve

Eventually, yes.

dl242gt 03-27-2019 04:37 PM

Nice find! Looks like a good car to sort out and enjoy.

vwbusman66 03-28-2019 02:50 PM

This bad boy showed up today- supposedly the last front only sway kit from iPD
:e-shrug:
Definitely going to drive the car before swapping it on- curious to feel the difference that people rave about. May eventually hunt down a used rear bar, but that'll wait until all the bushings are replaced.
https://i.imgur.com/K6wJp8vm.jpg

sspony 03-28-2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwbusman66 (Post 5931165)
I'd put good money on this being that car. This car came from Uniontown.
Old man (3rd owner and car dealer) Ray had only driven it 5 miles since buying it from the 2nd owner in 2008, but he threw nearly $2000 in parts at it.

Thats great! Yup I have definitely driven past and been tempted before haha. Glad to see its getting another chance.

If ya need any parts let me know, only about an hour from Motown.

vwbusman66 03-28-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sspony (Post 5932294)
Thats great! Yup I have definitely driven past and been tempted before haha. Glad to see its getting another chance.

If ya need any parts let me know, only about an hour from Motown.

I'll definitely let you know!

sksmith 03-29-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwbusman66 (Post 5932292)
May eventually hunt down a used rear bar, but that'll wait until all the bushings are replaced.

I may not use the rear bar that I have. Let me know if you are interested.
Steve

vwbusman66 03-31-2019 06:15 PM

Just to clarify: in order to replace the cam/lifters, I need to pull the head right?
Unless there's another way to pull the lifters that isn't obvious?

2 old for this 03-31-2019 06:38 PM

Oh the memories! When I worked at the dealer a great custermer had a near perfect 142E. He decided to let his daughter drive it to college. Some idiot ran on the hoods and trunks of all of the cars in a parking lot. He found a doner for the hood and trunk and gave me the leftovers. 142s. It turned out to be a great work car for many years.

sksmith 03-31-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwbusman66 (Post 5933365)
Just to clarify: in order to replace the cam/lifters, I need to pull the head right?
Unless there's another way to pull the lifters that isn't obvious?

The head needs to come off.
Steve

vwbusman66 04-11-2019 10:18 PM

Actively looking into an aftermarket/new/used sport steering wheel. Thinking 0 dish ~350mm momo? Not a huge fan of new wood, so will probably go with black leather.

stick70 04-12-2019 10:03 AM

They're expensive, but you can't go wrong with a momo prototipo

https://i.imgur.com/jROP0ot.jpg?1

vwbusman66 04-13-2019 11:45 AM

I presume I should go grab the $175 4-cylinder 92 WC T-5 today off CL.
It'll spread myself a little thin financially till the end of the semester, but its a good deal.

Redwood Chair 04-13-2019 12:20 PM

You broke the transmission just driving it around the block?

vwbusman66 04-13-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redwood Chair (Post 5938242)
You broke the transmission just driving it around the block?

I will after I turbo/swap it

vwbusman66 04-13-2019 09:51 PM

Cheap-ass T5 secured.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.