• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Boost in first?

LeedomtoFreedom

Running an HX35, obviously very large.

Just checking to see if others with similar setups haven't been able to develop boost in first. I understand why it wouldn't build boost but I'm just gauging the audience.

If not, have any found ways of improving this, possibly manifold, wastegate, 16v im guessing.

Not running any ECU with anti-lag as well.

I've had two redblocks with HX35 and both had boost on 1st gear. Other had only really quickly made exhaust manifold and mildly ported 531 on top of a B230F and the other was a stock B230FT. External 38mm wastegates with ~0.5bar spring and a boost control valve above the diaphragm.

HX35 isn't that big really.

depends on a lot of things. stock lh? auto or manual? what's the final drive? what engine? what cam?

With my m47 and an automatic trans rear axle (3.73) I rarely ever got into much boost in first gear, maybe a little, but then you'd gone 30 feet and needed to shift into second already. Occasionally you'd get luck (cold day, going uphill maybe) and get some good boost going, but then it would break a motor mount. This was before I put a ratchet strap on it.

Then I got a Mustang T5 with a significantly taller first gear and could routinely hit boost in 1st gear. But that would jsut spin the tires, not a lot of traction on a 240 wagon with a stiff-ish suspension.

Last edited:
Sorry let me clarify what I've got

lightly ported 90+
lh2.4
t-5 tranny (cant remember t-5 model to find first gear ratio)
3.55 rear end
IPD turbo cam (which is all up top in the range)
530 head
stock intercooler from 940(about to upgrade to large one)

22psi. I paid closer attention and it seems to just barely build boost. I'm not sure if I'm just being naive and expecting boost build like the 15g.

61BLQMpkw9L._SL1500_.jpg

He351cw yes to first gear.

NPR intercooler
K cam
Mildly ported 530
Bondo Exhaust header
3" exhaust
15# of boost by 3200
42# injectors
LAO chips
3" AMM
1st os pistons
Squirters
Chevy T-5
4.10 rear end
Three stickers of various origin= an extra 15hp

Last edited:
Not a hx35, but hy35 and the datalogs show positive pressure from about 2700rpm in first gear on my old b21. But at that rpm we are only talking 1-2psi... If I rev it in neutral it would almost hit 14psi @ 7000rpm.

12cm housing with internal wastegate I believe. I just installed an ebay special intercooler and got rid of some small pinhole leaks, helped a little. It builds boost, but like you said, very little.

Back