• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Will a 240 hitch fit a 780?

Fred Gwynne

Does anyone know if the factory hitch on my 240 will fit a 780? Please let me know and I apologize if there is already a thread about this. I did search for the topic here and through google with no luck. Thanks very much.

No, not even close to fitting. If you want a hitch for your 780, I have a draw tight hitch that came off my 780 that I will sell.

Thanks I will keep that in mind. Right now I'm just giving some thought to a 780 for sale nearby to me. Does it happen to be a class III?

Last edited:
^^^ What he said. Class 3 is 1000 lb tongue weight, 10,000 gross weight towing capacity. The hitch I have is rated at 300 lb tongue weight, 3,500 lb gross weight. That is what a 7 series is supposedly rate at, according to Volvo.

^^^And what is 200 series factory accessory hitch rating?

Still class II.

240Drawtite2.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
^^^ What he said. Class 3 is 1000 lb tongue weight, 10,000 gross weight towing capacity. The hitch I have is rated at 300 lb tongue weight, 3,500 lb gross weight. That is what a 7 series is supposedly rate at, according to Volvo.

Most class 3 stuff is at 500 lb. tongue weight, with a 5000 lb. trailer. Load-distributing hitches can typically go up to a 600 lb. tongue and 6000 lb. trailer. Not to try to make too fine a point of it, but you still don't want to be in a 780 with 5000 or 6000 lbs. hitched up behind you.;-)

Anybody know if the 780 hitch / mounts are a unique animal? I've got the OEM 7/9 hitch setup that I'll be selling soon; just removed from my 92 745T where it was a true bolt on. This style with the rectangular receiver..... I'll have to read the serial plate to see what the hitch is rated at.

Anybody know if the 780 hitch / mounts are a unique animal? I've got the OEM 7/9 hitch setup that I'll be selling soon; just removed from my 92 745T where it was a true bolt on. This style with the rectangular receiver..... I'll have to read the serial plate to see what the hitch is rated at.

Yes, the 780 hitch is unique to a 780 because of the IRS. A straight axle 7/9 hitch will not fit a 780 and vise-versa.

Back