• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Differences between '87 765 GLE T and '88 745TI?

wiretrip

Okay, I've recently found yet another Brick I'm thinking about buying. Although it's eating into the time I could spend looking for an 1800S.

A gentleman near me has a 1987 760GLE Turbo wagon. Black on Black with the body and interior stated to be in good condition. (I haven't eyeballed the car yet, probably Monday).

I'm sure the headliner is g-o-n-e, and the use of the word "good" is always open for debate. It's an automatic (although I'm not sure which model.) and it has a "bad head" according to the owner.

The price is right, a reasonable $250.00 but once again I haven't seen it. Since this is an '87 I'm assuming it has a B230FT in it, with the biodegradable wiring harness.

I have (staining the carport) a B230FT with a large hole in the side (#3 Rod) which has a good head, and also has an AW71 stuck to the back of it.

I'm considering picking this car up, depending on it's looks, and repairing it.

Other than the wiring harness is there any other things I should be on the look out for. It should be a nice match to my '88 745, and at least the wife could drive it because of the slushbox, oops, I mean automatic.

Hmm.
760 should be a six-cyl. engine, I would think.
Not sure if that would be the old V-6 or the newer straight 6.
Either way, I've heard little good and plenty swearing.

Possibly a 4-cyl red block was already swapped into the car.

Either way I suppose you could drop in a B230 NA or T and have a reliable car.
Or a '96+ straight six maybe.

The straight six is an interference engine.
Had all kinds of issues, generally resulting in engine failure.
Supposedly the kinks were all worked out for '96 forward, so one of those only requires watching the t-belt and tensioner and related parts like a hawk to make sure they don't kill things.

I got my e-fan from a '92 960. In the j'yard with timing cover and t-belt removed. That must'a been what killed that car.

Hmm.
760 should be a six-cyl. engine, I would think.
Not sure if that would be the old V-6 or the newer straight 6.
Either way, I've heard little good and plenty swearing.

err not quite... I think 960s are 6 cyls but 760s are all by default b230FTs.

Other than a little fit and finish differences should be just like your 740. later (88+) they had different headlights and windshields but this car should have no surprises.

Many Volvo 760 series cars got the B230FT engine. For example, in '84, you could get a 760 series car with either the V6, B23FT or D24T engine. The easiest way to tell is to look under the hood, or in the instrument cluster for a boost gauge. Another clue is the "Turbo - Intercooler" badge on the trunk or rear hatch and or the absence/presence of a "TurboDiesel" badge.

I have yet to see a 765 wagon that was NOT a B230FT (or D24T) equipped vehicle. OTOH, the 764 sedans with the V6 motor are much more common.

see: http://home.blarg.net/~volvo242gt/Volvo700.txt
for more info.

Be sure to use the '88 wiring harness on the '87 motor if you decide to swap. Volvo wiring harnesses for the 700 series vary greatly from year to year and trim level to trim level (740 to 760).

wiretrip said:
A gentleman near me has a 1987 760GLE Turbo wagon. Black on Black with the body and interior stated to be in good condition. (I haven't eyeballed the car yet, probably Monday).
That answers the question.

I'd take a look, the 760 in 87 was the pre update with older style automatic climate control and such, just keep a look out, pull up the carpets haea look etc, but for that much, you can't expect much.

There is more stuff on the 760 to break - climate control, power seats, etc.

The motor is identical mechanically. Both should be LH2.2. Bring a wrench to turn the motor over by hand and feel if its OK. Look under oil cap (turn motor and see if cams turn too) to see if timing belt is busted.

Wiring supposedly varies signicantly from 740.

Back