• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 turned into tire burning machine. Modular 4.6l Cobra engine swap. Pics inside!

JoiOK

240 turned into tire burning machine *updated; now supercharged!

Lets throw in some pics of the Volvo Cobra build. This is as far as I know the first time a 4.6 32valve has been put in a Volvo 240.
The car it self is a 88 Volvo 240 originally equipped with a b230 engine and manual trans.

The engine is a 4.6 4v (32 valve) from a 95 Lincoln Mark VIII, which is the same engine as in the 96-98 Mustang Cobra. Then we bolted the intake from a 96 Cobra on it (that shuld raise the hp numbers from 280 to about 300 and give 1000 cool points). Than it?l be backed up with a Tremec TR-3650 5 spd manual transmission from 2001 Mustang Cobra. :cool:

Bladagar09.jpg

The good'ol Volvo

IMG_7816.jpg

The new bad ass power plant.

First the old engine was removed. Than the 4.6 was trial fitted in the hood.
We had to remove the bulky vacuum brake booster and us hydrobooster setup from a mustang to clear the engine.

21072009.jpg

21072009_004.jpg

21072009_005.jpg

It seemded to fit almost nicely. But it?s sure going to be a tight fit!

21072009_001.jpg

21072009_002.jpg

Looking up between the headers and the frame from underneath the car, looks like there is enough clearance to fit 2.5" exhaust on each side.

Then with the engine and gearbox in, we positioned the engine about 15mm to the passenger side to gain some space where the steering shaft exits the firewall.

When we were happy with all alignments we build the engine mounts which bolt into the original engine mounting holes in the k-member and modified the x-member to clear the transmission.

25072009.jpg

27072009_001.jpg

IMG_7819.jpg

The k-member had to be cut in about 1 1/2 inch to clear the oil pan.

We had a little clearance issue where the steering shaft exits the firewall so we had to move the lower end of it about 1" to the left (from inside car) an about 1" down. But that's barely noticeable in the steering wheel.

IMG_7822.jpg

We had to modify the driver side inner fender with the biggest hammer to clear the brake master cylender, as it had to be moved about 1-2" to the left (from inside car) with the hydrolic brake booster to clear the engine.

IMG_7822.jpg

Engine compartment was then painted gloss black for cleaner looks.
IMG_7824.jpg

This is our current status. Next up we will install the engine and trans for (hopefully) the last time, and start the wiring process. :oogle: Hope you like it!

Last edited:
can someone do me a huge favor and host these on the turbobricks image host or something? I need to show someone at work and photobucket is blocked :-(

the motor itself is common enough that it shouldn't have cost that much.

The trans though... :drool:

There's regularly a few darkVIIIs at the local yard. $185 complete motor no accessories :nod:

What was your decision regarding engine management? Is the engine compartment a stand alone/removable harness? It would seem to to me that it has to be a real nightmare trying to figure where/if ford has been to kind enough to make this Kick @ss project any easier/difficult!!!
P.S. Just Do It!:nod:

Thank you guys for your comments!

Cool. So how broke are you after buying that engine/trans and having it sent to Iceland?

hehe, not so broke, I got it locally for much less than it costs to import it.

that is insane
should have dropped in an LS1.
hehe

Yea, i?m with you on that one, I?m more of a chevy guy my self but I was looking for a decent modern engine, and this engine+manual trans was available for half the cost of an ls1+auto so that made my choise.

What was your decision regarding engine management? Is the engine compartment a stand alone/removable harness? It would seem to to me that it has to be a real nightmare trying to figure where/if ford has been to kind enough to make this Kick @ss project any easier/difficult!!!
P.S. Just Do It!:nod:

I?ll use the Mark VIII ecu, it?s a obd 1 unit. I will also use the original ford harness, thats an easy one after few hours of cuting and splicing. :lol:

Awesome! Thanks for proving people wrong!

You could always notch some things to make room for bigger exhaust :D

staying n/a?

Staying n/a for now at least, but 5.0 stroker internals + 15psi would be nice! :oogle:

Back