• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Rear Rear Trailing Arm Bushing (Shell?)

EivlEvo

Squad.

Apparently there are 2 superpro setups. 1 with and 1 without shell. Apparently I bought the one without the shells. Turns out, I need a shell.

Anybody know where to get shells? OR... can I snag some garbage rubber bushing and just use that shell with the poly?

I might try and snake a shell from my rusty donor car but... seems less than ideal. Plus, then I'm just putting it back on the ground with no rear suspension support. Ideas?

There aren't shells on your car right now with the old beat bushings? You get those old bushings out of there and destroy the rubber by burning it out or however you can get the rubber out of there. Then clean up your old shell and install. I've read here that you don't even remove the old shell. Just remove the trailing arm and destroy the rubber in place. Just be very careful if you use a torch around the back of the car.

There aren't shells on your car right now with the old beat bushings? You get those old bushings out of there and destroy the rubber by burning it out or however you can get the rubber out of there. Then clean up your old shell and install. I've read here that you don't even remove the old shell. Just remove the trailing arm and destroy the rubber in place. Just be very careful if you use a torch around the back of the car.

Shells are there, but on one side the shell is destroyed and the bushing is oozing itself out lol.

So I need one shell.

I just checked the ones on my donor car and they all have some beginnings of splitting as well. This however, is the one on my 245.

PKLbSiyfLTQryLTU_zBgo54VX5WefWG1kh5Q2GTo0VQjPZQCi2KUD_nbrl0alhCnIyu5qff4LSbvZjri160qbOj3Fnbo4Ba5MWR2BG9SzCpPhw_MoQZjab8m1Ulj_Vfy_kX6KkeNy2NDVF7ppPjAITuA1h0JS3qpTw2LmF1WmqLKEITzsAfSG0dQc5-jrNsr1FsKfU8A_ywd0Ce-hT66E9OJ07Ekfjp250GFu8DbP2X4d1wrycVS00CMaXcQ_HqINT6jLVHVCMFkgzfKKwbvnjkkUDT972R8JJe1aQkoku_E-WxOx2Ia2_3GrFNz6KA0vnN2JiYrNcuUZd1U_t1PR6sIweTKxc8qM49E8T-CAkxp1B0_f6MYfrh5ROkPOnfDANS3loRWCqBA3r_xMEFh04L2PqR2om1piO-0mr-UdYWdTumX3jGEDWmXyuUEYAcuGgi3YzLGbkc0WqIViNP-ODxxPJEAyhg4pMSKm2hBCPIZnk5g1WxZKyPkI4iii9ewjXRddmx6p6rLJvmtzc1-mUKUhT0LNCHeusALFICz1DiL1whEMzySWYyltUTFWQqD8MXzEdJlNm34kbvgaYNb8rFNBfsJ5AVUA8Sft2n7Sg=w800-h350-no

Sooo yeah... need shells. Lesigh.

I mean, I suppose I could always just ghetto rig something? The shell only prevents the bushing from doing what it's currently doing no? I wonder how the poly would work here...

Squad.

Finally getting back around to this hot action. My preggo bushing shell has ALMOST birthed out it's bushing. I know these need that fun tool (which I have assembled) to be pressed in and out. BUT... since mine are hashed anyhow... can I just sawzall through it or something?

Basically... what's my path of least resistance in removing these old destroyed ones? If it's still that press tool, fine. But I've got new shells and new poly now so...

No.... well, what I want to say is... as you can see from the picture, no... they're not. But the fact that you ask me this leads me to inquire as to... what makes the shell usable or not usable? Because the bushing birthing out of the shell as it seems to be doing in the above pic I posted (unless no one can see this) would seem not usable to me?

I have new shells now and bushings though so...?

Further question I guess is... is this a scenario where I can simply wrap a piece of steel and banding around the damaged shell? I can't imagine that would be ideal? I also have delusions of grandeur of getting this car to pass tech for VIR this season. But I'm not sure it'll make the 2 hour drive there, a thrash, and back without a healthy dose of service in between lol.

No.... well, what I want to say is... as you can see from the picture, no... they're not. But the fact that you ask me this leads me to inquire as to... what makes the shell usable or not usable? Because the bushing birthing out of the shell as it seems to be doing in the above pic I posted (unless no one can see this) would seem not usable to me?

Can't see the picture but the shells should still be good unless they're rusted out.

Generally one just carves / wire wheels the rubber out and slips the poly bushings in.

Done deal.

I have new shells now and bushings though so...?

The gold colored ones?

Y U NO Lemf?rder?

I was going to grab them but the metal looked thicker and I have all this poly. So then I was like I'll get these, burn the centers out and end up not fitting poly in them.

I'm still completely prepared to eat my words when the poly sucks, but rn my driveshaft rubs on shifts because of the gyro forces on the diff. So I'm hoping with it centered... it just bloody works.

It's blown open? The crusty looking thing is the bushing being birthed out of it.

I can't imagine it's re-usable but also who the hell am I? I'm more concerned with how to remove them I guess?

It's blown open? The crusty looking thing is the bushing being birthed out of it.

I can't imagine it's re-usable but also who the hell am I? I'm more concerned with how to remove them I guess?

My bad, hard to tell.

You can collapse them with a chisel but the defective IPD gold things won't press...

Back