• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2.3L Ecoboost Swap, Possible?

profall

I've been finding a lot of wrecked Mustang's with the 2.3L Ecoboost motor for cheap. A few thousand for the entire wreck. They make good numbers stock, there is quite a bit of aftermarket components for the 2.3L Ecoboost and an inline 4 is truer to the nature of a 240 anyway.

There is T5 transmission mounting kits out there for the 2.3L Ecboost, would just need to figure out if it could work when mounted in a 240 trans tunnel.

I can find the external dimensions for the Ecoboost motor everywhere online, but I have not been able to find the external dimensions for a redblock. Passing that info along would be much appreciated if anyone has it.

Please let me know your thoughts or if anyone else has done this before. Looking to start a new project.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IGBXKtxFSbQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I believe Ford motorsport sells a wiring harness to drop this engine into pretty much anything. You can buy them from them also.

Go for it

Yup let us know. It would be awesome. Might have to move the engine forward just a bit because of the high pressure fuel pump but that engine weighs 340 lbs complete so it shouldn't hurt the balance too much. 300 hp out of the box.

Are not the new 2.3l engines direct injection? Does that have any kinds of special requirements for a fuel system?

Probably good filter but they use a normal fuel pump to get up near the engine then a cam driven pump raises the pressure up high enough for in the rail.

In GM's D.I. engines, the tank-mounted pressure requirement is 72 psig, vs the 58 psig for normal efi. Don't know what the Ford requirement is -- easy to confirm and adjust I'd think.

Biggest issue is the high pressure fuel pump sitting off the back of the head, you’ll have to clearance the firewall for it.
For fuel supply, I do know that the 2.0 needs 50psi fed into the high pressure pump. Walbro 255 seems to work just fine.

For transmission, t5 will definitely work. I used a Quad4 bellhousing and Tilton hydraulic TO bearing. It works, but it’s a ton of money to make a t5 work.
I’d try and make the 2.3 6spd work out.

Buy the ecoboost controls pack from Ford, and the rwd install kit, makes life way easier. The RWD swap parts weren’t around when I did the 2.0 ecoboost swap into a merkur.

Only problem I see with the MT-82 6speed is the horrendous gearing. Probably would need a 3.31 or 3.54 just to make it palatable.

Just checked the Mustang 2.3L service manual. Low side pressure spec is 50.8-75.4 psi

Yep, the fuel pressure requirements for the low pressure (yes, 50-75psi is low pressure) pump are pretty generous, because the high pressure (2000psi) system runs in closed loop with a fuel pressure sensor. So long as you can supply enough volume and pressure to prevent cavitation in the pump inlet, it'll behave itself.

Back