• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 strut cartridge in 940

Steve Beswick

1994 940 here -

I'm planning to re-do all the suspension this fall. I think I want to use 240 strut cartridges in my 940, with shorter than stock springs, and a spacer in the bottom of the 940's strut housing. I have a few questions I couldn't find answers to.

1. Do the 240 cartridges fit in the 940 strut bearings, or does something need to be done there?

2. Does anyone have an example of suitable spacer material?

3. Do I use cut down 940 bump stops, or...???

TIA for any help!

Both are T4 Body type.
Compressed length: 18.75"
Extended length: 25.5"
Travel length: 6.75"
Body length: 16.75"

Compressed length: 16.5"
Extended length: 24.125"
Travel length: 7.625"
Body length: 16"

You do the math but I see .75" being the difference in body length.

What exactly are you trying to do? Lower the car yes? What kind of struts are you looking at using from a 240, that aren't available for a 7/9 series?

Why not just lower the car with lowering springs and stiffer shocks?

If you're looking for a stroke to match your shorter spring length, buy a pair of blown Bilstein shocks for $30 and send them to Bilstein for a rebuild with a specific stroke length and proper compression and rebound.

Last edited:
What exactly are you trying to do? Lower the car yes? What kind of struts are you looking at using from a 240, that aren't available for a 7/9 series?

Why not just lower the car with lowering springs and stiffer shocks?

If you're looking for a stroke to match your shorter spring length, buy a pair of blown Bilstein shocks for $30 and send them to Bilstein for a rebuild with a specific stroke length and proper compression and rebound.

I was just trying to get a bit more compression length to work with. Lowered car + crapply local roads might = bang. Bang bad, bang prevention good. If it's a nightmare to switch though, I'll just take my chances with stock size cartridges.

I'm pretty damn low,in my 940 with correct Bilsteins and it rides nice. Like one coil cut off a Lowering spring low.

Also Bilstein has an internal bumpstop,so no worries there.

How low are you trying to go? What springs are you going to use?

I'm thinking 2 inches in the front, and 1 - 1.5 inches in the back. Nothing too crazy. I'll probably have to do cut stock springs in the short term, primarily due to budget constraints. I'm already planning for all new bushings, new ball joints, new strut mounts/bearings, and new cartridges and shocks, and an adjustable panhard rod. I'm not a rich man, so something will have to give.

So that's why you would install a 240 insert into a 940 housing?

On a 240 strut cartridge the shaft will compress almost all the way into the housing. Not so much on a 7xx/9xx. I'm looking for a bit more compression length. The only thing I don't know is will the end of the 2xx strut fit properly in the 7xx/9xx strut bearing. I know people on here have tried it before, so I was hoping one of them would chime in.

I've used 240 inserts on a 740. All you need to to is shorten the housing 20mm and use the 240 gland nut. It will fit the strut mount but the nut won't thread all the way down to the nyloc

I've used 240 inserts on a 740. All you need to to is shorten the housing 20mm and use the 240 gland nut. It will fit the strut mount but the nut won't thread all the way down to the nyloc

Plus 1

A friend of mine is doing it right now on his 740

Got it. Thanks everyone! Now all I need to do is figure out how to anchor the springs in their seats, and all will be good!

How low are you going?

This is my car with 240 inserts plus cut springs and the spring is still not loose.

5B18915E-787A-487F-97AB-EFB6DC1B8FE8_zpsigepzshg.jpg

Back