Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (http://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   maintenance & nonperformance (http://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   "Volvo coolant only" - What's the deal? (http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=32276)

aeropraise 01-22-2005 08:57 PM

"Volvo coolant only" - What's the deal?

I have a 1998 V70 XC AWD with 102K miles on it; I've only had the car for about 3 months. The "low coolant" warning light has just started coming on periodically, so I know that I need to add some coolant. The Owner's Manual says to "use Volvo coolant/antifreeze only" -- can someone let me know:
A) Should I really stick to Volvo-brand coolant? Or will any coolant that I pick up at AutoZone or Kragen or even Wal-Mart work fine?
B) If I'm supposed to use Volvo-only coolant, where can I find it? (Just at a dealer?)

Thanks for your help.

Morley 01-22-2005 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeropraise
I have a 1998 V70 XC AWD with 102K miles on it; I've only had the car for about 3 months. The "low coolant" warning light has just started coming on periodically, so I know that I need to add some coolant. The Owner's Manual says to "use Volvo coolant/antifreeze only" -- can someone let me know:
A) Should I really stick to Volvo-brand coolant? Or will any coolant that I pick up at AutoZone or Kragen or even Wal-Mart work fine?
B) If I'm supposed to use Volvo-only coolant, where can I find it? (Just at a dealer?)

Thanks for your help.

Weeeeeeeelllll.......the Volvo coolant is green, so it is actually different. I think the the Volvo coolant has some additives added to protect the aluminium, normal coolant is usually just, erhm, Glycol? What is it called in English?

tjts1 01-22-2005 09:59 PM

Any green Ethylene Glycol that says "aluminum safe" or something of that sort will be fine. But since you are just topping off (and you live in SoCal) you can just use some distilled water for now.

Here's what Volvo has to say about white block coolant in the dealer service manual.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ceschedule.jpg

own6volvos 01-22-2005 10:05 PM

Volvo coolant costs 20 bucks total for enough to do a complete flush and fill. I even had some left over from the job. It also tends to stay clean much longer than others.

aeropraise 01-22-2005 11:18 PM

What about orange coolant? I have some GM "Dex" coolant, but it says "safe for all vehicles" on the bottle...? (I bought it for a Pontiac Grand Am GT that said "only use DEX coolant")... Will that work?

Thanks for everyone's responses...

tjts1 01-23-2005 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeropraise
What about orange coolant? I have some GM "Dex" coolant, but it says "safe for all vehicles" on the bottle...? (I bought it for a Pontiac Grand Am GT that said "only use DEX coolant")... Will that work?

Thanks for everyone's responses...

Stay away from that stuff. It does not mix well with your existing coolant. I remember reading something about the mixture forming deposits and evertually corrosion. You would have to completely flush the system in order to use dex cool. Thats why your Pontiac said only use DEX coolant. Volvo on the other hand is particular about its coolant because not all green coolants were prosphate free and therefore aluminium safe in the 90s. Now most coolants say "aluminum safe". But dex cool AKA Deathcool = bad.

Unregistered 01-23-2005 01:03 AM

Dex cool=Deathcool

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1
Stay away from that stuff. It does not mix well with your existing coolant. I remember reading something about the mixture forming deposits and evertually corrosion. You would have to completely flush the system in order to use dex cool. Thats why your Pontiac said only use DEX coolant. Volvo on the other hand is particular about its coolant because not all green coolants were prosphate free and therefore aluminium safe in the 90s. Now most coolants say "aluminum safe". But dex cool AKA Deathcool = bad.

I concur. Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com and there will read all about coolants.

AJS 01-23-2005 03:28 AM

NEVER mix coolant unless you know without any doubt they are compatible. Many of them are not. Coolant is cheap but the damage done from mixing incompatibles ones is not. When I had to replace my water pump due to leaking seals I was amazed to find that after 10+ years and quite a few Kms the internals looked very close to new. That's what you want.

robs89volvo 01-31-2005 08:29 PM

coolent

if your going to buy volvo coolent at 20 bucks a gal then for five more you can get the evans coolent that does not use any water at all and it works better that any other coolents on the market today. because its synthetic we run it in the race truck and all of our cars

Three Fat Tigers 02-01-2005 05:02 AM

Interesting, not heard of that before, worth checking into:
http://www.evanscooling.com/main25.htm

own6volvos 02-01-2005 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robs89volvo
if your going to buy volvo coolent at 20 bucks a gal then for five more you can get the evans coolent that does not use any water at all and it works better that any other coolents on the market today. because its synthetic we run it in the race truck and all of our cars

20 is much different than 50 bucks. Evans doesn't mix with water.. Volvo coolant does. 1/2 coolant 1/2 water.

Led 02-01-2005 03:42 PM

Always use distilled water. The chemicals in normal tap water will cause deposits and corrosion. You can get distilled water at any grocery store.

Later,
Stephen

EvanSargent 02-01-2005 04:09 PM

If Evans is waterless does that mean if you are in a pinch you need to look for someplace that carries Evans instead of just buying what ever you can find at the overly priced gas station in the middle of no where? Can you add water if you are loosing coolant?

When I had my old car, I was on my way home from the Bend, OR area when I had a hose under the intake manifold split lengthwise about an inch long. I had a gallon of water in the truck so I dumped it all in (at this point I couldnt tell where all the water had left, I only knew that it wasnt in the car anymore) I drove few more mile and the coolant level light was back on. I pulled over and was out of water. I headed into the woods and found a creek that ran parallel to the road. Filled up my jug and dumped creek water into the car. I had to do this quite a few times to get home but, it worked. I made it home in 100 degree wx instead of having to walk for miles to the nearest gas station.

Evans sounds like a sweet deal but, it sounds like it has its limitations in a real world applcation.

Alternative Energy 02-02-2005 10:00 AM

Oops!

Alternative Energy 02-02-2005 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led
Always use distilled water. The chemicals in normal tap water will cause deposits and corrosion. You can get distilled water at any grocery store.

Later,
Stephen

Aman Bro! Tap water in many parts of the country contains too many hard water deposits!

Looks like Volvo has approved the following:

Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant

Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant is recommended and formulated for use in all cars and light-duty trucks with aluminum radiators. This patented formula has a concentrated blend of premium, long-lasting inhibitors for extended performance, protecting against temperature extremes and the ravages of rust and corrosion for 5 years or 150,000 miles.

Prestone® Extended Life has been proven in the laboratory to be compatible with all new extended life formulas at concentrations typically used in all newer vehicles coming off the production line today. These automobile manufacturers include:

Audi General Motors Suzuki
BMW Honda Toyota
Daewoo Mercedes Volvo
DaimlerChrysler Mitsubishi VW
Ford

Tip
If you decide to replace your existing antifreeze/coolant with Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant, make sure you completely drain and flush the cooling system first in order to gain the full benefits of the longer-lasting formula. Also, if you are currently using Prestone Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant in your car's cooling system, and you add a conventional antifreeze/coolant, you will lose the extended protection.

volvodad 02-02-2005 05:51 PM

Hmmm...that quote sure sounds like it came from the label on the Prestone bottle. So we have Prestone saying it's safe for use in Volvos, but that's not the same as Volvo saying it. Or did I miss something?

eaglescout 02-02-2005 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led
Always use distilled water. The chemicals in normal tap water will cause deposits and corrosion.

Does that apply to both hard and soft water? I almost always mix tap water with my coolant without a second thought. I know that the water we use is <50 ppb in calcium, so it's not hard. But what about the chlorine and flourine?