• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

piston slap B230FT

Don't feel alone if you have it. Mine sounds BAD when cold, to me anyway. And I just put the motor in.
In theory one can run indefinently this way given maintenance to keep further wear to a minimum.

ive seen b230f motors with 600k miles with horrible, horrible piston slap, still running strong... one case a car came in and part of the piston skirt had broken off and landed in the oil pan... the car was still running, the customer paid to have the skirt removed from the oil pan and he kept on truckin... i still see that car driving around to this day

Pls correct me if I'm wrong but I thought this was a problem found in the '85 to '88 blocks only.
The casting problem was solved starting with K blocks... Or was it?

I have loud diesel sounding noises on cold start up too. Its quiets down pretty well when its warmed up. The guys at work think its the rod bearings. It hasn't got any worse after having it for the 5k miles since I bought it.
Are the (stock) turbo motors any more or less likely to have piston slap? (original topic ?)

I have loud diesel sounding noises on cold start up too. Its quiets down pretty well when its warmed up. The guys at work think its the rod bearings. It hasn't got any worse after having it for the 5k miles since I bought it.
Are the (stock) turbo motors any more or less likely to have piston slap? (original topic ?)

I'd think so, yes. Actually I've never heard a non-turbo with piston slap, though I'm sure it happens. My stock of old Volvo's to observe is relatively small around there parts. :)

You'd think mine was rod bearings too if you didn't know about the piston slap issue, and the fact that it goes away above 1K rpm or therebouts depending on temp.

N/A's have it also

I'd think so, yes. Actually I've never heard a non-turbo with piston slap, though I'm sure it happens. My stock of old Volvo's to observe is relatively small around there parts. :)

You'd think mine was rod bearings too if you didn't know about the piston slap issue, and the fact that it goes away above 1K rpm or therebouts depending on temp.

I have a 92 240 B230 (89,000 miles) and it has piston slap. Had it looked at by a mechanic from Sweden with 45 years experience and he confirmed it.

It rattles when it is cold and after a warm up and driving easy for about a mile....it purrs like a kitten.

You just have to understand it and go on with life.

Frank

I had piston slap on my 88 745ti. It would slap til it warmed up. Then the HG blew (between pistons 2 & 3). After I pulled and grooved the head, cleaned the valves/pistons and reinstalled everything it didn't slap anymore.

I also gasket matched the intake mani and head - but I doubt that had anything to do with it.

Before:
100_0621.jpg

100_0625.jpg

After:
100_0628.jpg

100_0631.jpg

100_0635.jpg

My 745T has that "slapping" sound with 192k on it, it does get a little better when it warms up, runs rough at idle but at 2000-and up RPM it just purrs. This sound like piston slap or could it possibly be the piston itself or the wrist pin?

Most of these engines have it . Just relax and drive it easy until warmed up. you should be doing this anyway. On my route to work there are some in a hurry types that are a pita but they always are better viewed from the rear view I get of them down the road once the engine is warmed and the boost comes on!

Back