• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1990 740 TI w/green tops; which injectors are interchangeable?

roadwarrior

Hi, I'm sort of a Volvo noobie, so here goes my first question:

I recently got a 1990 740 TI wagon, and it has green top injectors. The part number on the green part is Bosch 280-150-804.

I want to get a backup set of injectors that I can have rebuilt and ready should I need or want to install them. My question concerns interchangeability/compatiblity of green top injectors. I have seen several green top sets on ebay that SEEM like a good value, but I don't know if they would fit/function properly since they don't have the same part number.

For example, I found one set that is Bosch 280-150-352 and another that is Bosch 280-150-357. The ad for the 357 set says that they were from a 1992 Volvo 740 Turbo and also says that these are direct replacement for Bosch Part Numbers: 280-150-209 & 280-150-734. None of these match my 804s, so I don't know what to think.

Also, on this site everyone just seems to refer to green tops or brown tops without ever specifying any part numbers? Am I the only one confused about these interchangeability issues?

Please help a new TBricker out... Thanks!

--roadwarrior

Last edited:
Fuel Injector 85-89

$96.00 each

Bosch Picture

Fuel Injector 90-92

$103.00 each

roadwarrior said:
Hi, I'm sort of a Volvo noobie, so here goes my first question:

I recently got a 1990 740 TI wagon, and it has green top injectors. The part number on the green part is Bosch 280-150-804.

I want to get a backup set of injectors that I can have rebuilt and ready should I need or want to install them. My question concerns interchangeability/compatiblity of green top injectors. I have seen several green top sets on ebay that SEEM like a good value, but I don't know if they would fit/function properly since they don't have the same part number.

For example, I found one set that is Bosch 280-150-352 and another that is Bosch 280-150-357. The ad for the 357 set says that they were from a 1992 Volvo 740 Turbo and also says that these are direct replacement for Bosch Part Numbers: 280-150-209 & 280-150-734. None of these match my 804s, so I don't know what to think.

Also, on this site everyone just seems to refer to green tops or brown tops without ever specifying any part numbers? Am I the only one confused about these interchangeability issues?

Please help a new TBricker out... Thanks!

--roadwarrior

i dont think you need to worry about carrying a set of spare injectors....maybe at worst get a spare set of greentops (stock turbo injectors) and send them to someone like Cruizin Performance or RC Engineering to get em cleaned and flowed, then swap em in with new orings and caps

thanks for the part numbers!

Thanks to kai and stylngle2003 for their input on my fuel injector questions.

So I guess I need to be specific and ask for 804s if I want them to work in my 1990 740 TI, right? That's not a problem, but I just found it interesting that everyone here just says "green top" when there are apparently different requirements between model years. Also, I haven't seen any used 804s on ebay since I started looking. Are they really that hard to find used?

Oh, by the way stylngle2003, I totally get what you were saying about not needing to carry a spare set of injectors around. Maybe I wasn't really clear originally, but that's not what I was intending to do. All I really want is just to have a spare set cleaned and prepped and ready to go should I need them. That way I wouldn't have any wasted downtime if I had to remove any dead ones in the car; I could be up and running again immediately. Maybe this is not a serious concern to most more experienced Volvo owners, but I just figured that if I could score a set for a decent price why not do it, right?

--roadwarrior

FI article

Thanks for the link to the article, Justin (I should have thought to check the FAQ before posting my question). I just skimmed it quickly, and all I can say is that most of that stuff is over my head right now. I guess I'm a newbie with a long learning curve ahead of me. At this point I'm not really looking to increase flow all that much, as my car is pretty much stock. I'll just keep looking for a good used set of 804s.

--roadwarrior

Bottom line is, 357's will work just fine, your car won't even notice a difference. I have a set of 357's i threw in my 940 for a week while the stock 804s were out getting cleaned. Apart from a *slight* (3%) difference in flow rate, the injectors are identical.

I would grab a set of used 357s and throw them in while the 804s are out being cleaned like I did. Then have the 357s as back-up if something happens to your 804s. With a good cleaning those injectors will last a long time, they tend not to just "die" either. I'd keep a spare set of relays and maybe a hall sensor/distributor before a spare set of injectors, but that's just me...

Canuckvolvo, thanks for the useful injector info!

Thanks Canuckvolvo! That's the kind of real-world experience and advice that a newbie like myself can use. I'll keep my eyes open for a good used set of 357s, since they seem more available than the 804s (I don't know why this is, but it seems to be the case). I might start looking for a spare set of relays as well...

--roadwarrior

Back