• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mein Kampf: 1988 245 DL

blkaplan

50 shades of beige
300+ Club
Decided I should write some of this stuff down....

Our family is the original owners of my 1988 245 dl.
My Mom bought it in 1988 as a car to take her from Altamonte Springs to Disney 2x a day for work.
In 1995, she purchased a 960 and handed the 245 down to my sister. My sister proceeded to drive the crap out of it and crash it 4 times.
The car has new front end sheet metal, new paint in some places....
I cant remember her "kill list" but I know there was one parked Honda civic which was totaled :ROFL::ROFL:
One totaled motorcycle which ran into her front fender.
the others i cant recall...

I received the "beige headed step child" when I turned 16 with my drivers license.

My first mod was a crappy set of Coronas :ROFL::ROFL:, at the time I was dumb. I think I paid 150 for the set? It's hard to say but at the time I knew they were better then the steelies and hub caps...

I then proceeded to buy a stereo system after a year or so of owning it. I bought a Pioneer DEHP-4000, which is a folding face CD player, i still own it to this day...
This powered 2 4" alpine co-axials and 2 6"x9" alpine coaxials that were located in the rear doors.

I wasn't happy with the mediocre sound I was getting from powering my 6x9's from the head unit so after about 6 months I bought a used alpine 50x2 RMS amp to power them.

It sounded great. Nice and clear music and some form of vibration that could almost be called bass.....

The original tint we installed when the car was new went to crap so I proceeded to get the car tinted with 14% all around, the film was Quantex

Then (when I turned 18) I purchased some sub woofers and an amp...
2 audiobahns ALUM-12 (aluminum models) and a power acoustik apache 1400 a 2x700 watt RMS amp. I also added a set of 4" floating components from Audiobahn to give my car 4 4", 2 6"x9", and 2 12" speakers.

At this point I had fulfilled my need to cruise, bump, and be a hooligan.

My car was pimpin fo real!

I began to take an interest in autocrossing after a friend who started autocrossing in a 244 convinced me to take my stock wagon out and start learning how to driver her. I started at a small club in central Florida called the http://www.martinsportscarclub.com/

So to get ready I purchased some Virgos for 300 bucks from a Volvo only junkyard and some Yokohama 304's. The 304's were supposed to be there "ultra high performance rated tire" They were H rated and the biggest pieces of junk I have ever used. After 1 autocross I totally chunked away the sidewalls and the tires were basically trashed.

I went back to Discount Tire and complained that these weren't high performance tires. I was able to trade them in for some Kumho 712 205 50/15 tires. At the time these were new tires and were considered pretty good cheap sport tires. They managed to survive the stock wagons body roll and tendency to plow at the sight of a corner.

At this point autocrossing was in my blood and I couldn't get it out.

I started with some ipd 25/25 mm bars for the wagon,
I also scored some cheap GT upper braces on ebay

They made a decent improvement and helped to control the car some but it was still very sloppy on the "track"

After 4 or 5 months of autocrossing with that setup I purchased an R sport suspension package from SAM. It included the R sport Rally (green label) struts and shocks and Lesoforthes sport springs. I remember getting them dirt cheap too, It was 300 shipped for everything. (Exchange rate was 10sek=1 USD, before Bush ruined the economy)

This was really what did it for the car, the car handled amazingly and was very very fun to drive.

I rocked this suspension for a few years

more updates and pics to come soon....

Last edited:
Virgos and IPD bars.

52441321.jpg

52441324.jpg

52441328.jpg

TerribleOne said:
updates.. we want more updates!
-won't pass emissions
-giant rust hole in the floor (repaired)
-dents and scrapes a'plenty
-interior still brown
-ticking time bomb of a power plant

towerymt said:
-won't pass emissions
-giant rust hole in the floor (repaired)
-dents and scrapes a'plenty
-interior still brown
-ticking time bomb of a power plant

That's all well and good but it's worthless without pics.

Once I got the 242, I decide to take a different route with the wagon, I wanted more utility. So the first thing I did was swap some suspension around. Towery came down to NC for a weekend to help me out...

We put ipd overloads on the back, cut 242 springs that came on my 242 in the front, and swaped sways so it got the 23/21's and my 242 got its 25/25's.
pics soon to come

Here are some pics of the suspension swap,

Overloads versus the B+G springs, Utility!!!
60824833.jpg

The new stance, rack is back baby!
60824805.jpg

Last edited:
Some parts I collected from the junkyard,

61185340.jpg

61185338.jpg

61185326.jpg

61185333.jpg

61185335.jpg

After pimping the car for a long while, I decided I would drive it to SE 3.0 and then go to florida for Orlando 3.0, at Orlando 3.0 we plus-Teed my car. It was probably the most hellatious plus T install ever. Next time someone tries to convince you to plus T your car 800 miles from home and then leave 1 day into the project, track them down and skin their asses.

Some specs from the initial Plus T install

Oil feed : taken from pressure sensor port: used a m14x1.5 to 1/8 npt T to retain pressure sensor and feed. The 1/8" NPT on the feed side had a hose barb which led to some fuel injection rubber hose, on the other end was a cut factory line.
Oil Return: Drilled block at b230f oil boss. Used a modified t3 oil return with a silicon hose spliced in to make the connection meet.
Turbo: T-25 taken from a 91 940 SE
Intercooler: stock 740 turbo intercooler
Computer: 541 ECU
Injectors: Greentops with ballast pack
Exhaust: 740 Downpipe mated to 240 turbo exhaust

33206697.jpg

33206707.jpg

What i look like after working straight for 4 days after slicing my arm open on a radiator bracket when i was drilling my block
33206717.jpg

The car had several oil leaks all at the feed, remember to use a thread sealant on NPT tapered threads! I knew I was supposed to but was braindead after working straight for so long.

When I was extending the AMM harness for the AMM relocation, I accidentaly crossed the wires. This left my car driving like complete ass! I nursed my ghetto ass +T home from florida to north carolina that way.

Last edited:
When I got back to north carolina, i was able to clean up my +T install, I rewired the AMM harness suspecting that it was the culpret of the ****ty running and sure enough the car ran awesome!

I guess as awesome as it could with +T on stock 2.2 ignition, after driving it around having some bad pinging i retard the car to around 8-9 degrees of initial advance, back from the stock 12. This helped relieve the pinging at 6 psi.

Here are some pics from after the clean up in raleigh before I headed to DC for the spring semester.

33170687.jpg

33170688.jpg

33170689.jpg

33170690.jpg

33170692.jpg

33170693.jpg

oil feed
33170695.jpg

oil return
33170696.jpg

33170700.jpg

Tiny t25
33170697.jpg

DP adapter
33170698.jpg

The big mess
large.jpg

Last edited:
Up until this point the body was perfectly straight and it had clean paint. The car just looked good. Well I am a tbricks member so all that had to be changed :roll:

On a snowy day the DC tbricks crew headed out to Mikep's to extract the transmission that was on its last legs, on the way there we had to pull over on the highway about 4-5 times due to the tranny slipping to much.

We finally got there! The transmission (a m-46) was purchased from M. Towery for 300 dollars, not a bad deal considering it had about ~16k original miles. It originally came out of Paul Schuhs turbo wagon.

The pedal box was donated from lawrences totalled 245 turbo wagon, as was the flywheel, clutch, and driveshaft.

38927201.jpg

38927205.jpg

DIE AUTO TRANNY COOLER LINE!!!
38927209.jpg

Much Better,
38927211.jpg

Looking clean, shifting smooth
38927224.jpg

****ed up, after lawrence drove it into a curve
38927193.jpg

Now, any other time I would of left it at mikep's and came back and fixed the suspension but being the roads were deserted due to snow and the alignment in the snow wasn't too crucial, we dumbly forged ahead. Right into the chesapeake bay bring

The left side came out pretty clean, minus some trim.
38927196.jpg

38927197.jpg

The right side has a nice guard rail marks all the way down the side
38927198.jpg

Fender and turn signal are at a loss
38927199.jpg

Last edited:
So you are only able to run 6psi w/ the resistor pack and retarding to 8? On 91 octane? How many miles on the engine prior to +t and on now?

Addicted242Boost said:
So you are only able to run 6psi w/ the resistor pack and retarding to 8? On 91 octane? How many miles on the engine prior to +t and on now?
'

Yes, thats about correct, the engine had roughly 160k on it pre +T its got an additional 15k since.

blkaplan said:
'

Yes, thats about correct, the engine had roughly 160k on it pre +T its got an additional 15k since.

Thinkin bout +ting my 87 and just relocating the MAF like you...but i got 319k. Have any words of wisdom whether I should do it or not?

Addicted242Boost said:
Whatd you do for ignition, nothing?

Looks like its time to add the MSnS install, I installed this in the garage of my college dorm, lawrence and I hammered through the install.

aluminum tps adapter
37429463.jpg

37429473.jpg

40214000.jpg

40214002.jpg

40214054.jpg

Back