View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
BDKR
Section 9

I've allways been under the understanding that Ethanol has some negatives in terms of engine longevity.

http://www.journaltimes.com/nucleus/...hp?itemid=3514
Quote:
The proponents are silent on the fact that any alcohol-based fuel is extremely hard on small engines like outboard motors, snowmobiles, chainsaws, and a wide variety of lawn and garden equipment. Ethanol is also destructive in older vehicles that were not designed to accommodate fuels containing alcohol.
From http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_392b.html
Quote:
Amoco used to put decals on some of its pumps saying "Pure Lead-Free, No Alcohol Added," but now the no-alcohol line is being dropped, in part due to protests from gasohol advocates. Amoco pumps that do have gasohol are prominently labeled, but this is not necessarily the case with all retailers.
It's also been my understanding that ehtanol attracts moisture. Here is a post on a board that is a guy quoting a Mercury (boat engines and stuff) dealer about ethanol.
Quote:
Also, he stated that boats with polypropylene (plastic) gas tanks need to be kept almost full after use because the Ethanol in the gas attracts moisture by way of the fuel vent. He said that both scenarios can wreak havoc on your motor if you are not vigilant.
Then there is the entry on The Auto Blog about it. http://www.autoblog.com/2006/03/21/i...its-big-break/
One of the comments is really interesting.
Quote:
Not only is distribution a problem put the processing into ethanol isn't done in the USA to any degree. Surprised? Then be more surprised that the USA is a net importer of ethanol to meet it's needs. SO if distribution is remedied expect more importing of ethanol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Currently the largest ethanol processing plant in the USA is being undertaken bya FRENCH company. Get the feeling the Petroleum industry isn't behind this effort???? SOmebody should be...soooooon.
And another...
Quote:
we have reformulated gas in Northern KY because of EPA. This stuff uses Ethanol. And it S-U-C-K-S! BIG TIME! gives cars here fits! bad performance! bad milage! up to 30% less. and it cost$ more!
makes my ford focus go nuts during summer months. don't know why any one would want it. i would rather ride a bus! and i do every summer.
In short, I'm not really convinced in spite of the aggressive nature with which it's being pushed onto the public. As a fuel, it works, but it's no saviour. The bugs and surrounding issues need to be solved.

Knuth also cites a letter sent to him by Dijkstra, in which the latter adds some nuance to this earlier statements: "Please don't fall into the trap of believing that I am terribly dogmatical about [the go to statement]. I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
BDKR is online now   Reply With Quote