• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

81' 242 TI Build Up

dturbo

Ok a bit of history:

Bought my first volvo in 04' 98 s70 T5 SE. loved it, joined VS and tbricks right away. learned alot about FWD and what not. got bored with the FWD after a year and decided to look for a RWD. Found my:

242 Turbo Intercooled
106k original miles
4spd w/OD
silver exterior
White interior
BONE Stock

I purchased the car from a 40 y/o lady about an hour south of Seattle in Olympia. She purchased the car 6months earlier for her daughter who wanted a jetta not a volvo. so She drove it for 6months from home to work 4 miles a day round trip. She bought the car from Topping Volvo in Olympia who had had the car since 1981 and kept it as their 'shop/grocery getter'. The dealer added the Intercooler.

I purchased the car for $3,000 in October of 2005. Car was kept stock for a while, did some minor cosmetic things, painted bezels black, black virgos etc.... Put the car up for sale in january cuz i just didnt see myself doing much to it. Then i went out and purchased iPD Sways and fell in love. Met Doug Kauer in Summer of 2005 when he and T came to Seattle for vacation. I had admired his work on his famous red 242 and figured heck why not rip into my car. SPring 2006 came around and Doug mentioned that he was going to be moving to seattle for the summer. i thought this was a great opertunity to learn more about RWD, and build my car at the same time.

Doug and I tore into the car in the end of June and are Mid way on teh project.

THE MOD LIST:

Phantom II Oil Pressure, Boost, Volts, EGT
Sparco Ring Steering Wheel
Sparco Hud adapter
Innovate XD-16
iPD Sways
iPD Turbo Camshaft
B21F intake manifold
SRT4 550cc injectors
EVO VIII Intercooler
Walbro 255
S60R kkk24 Turbo
2.5" IC piping
Forge BOV
Megasquirt
90+ Exhaust Manifold
Hose Techniques Vac Lines
Mallory 6-AL Box
SIngle Mount Fuel Pump Switch
New Gasket Kit
Tial 38/40 Hybrid External Wastegate FOR SALE!!!!!

First Day:
FirstDay.jpg

Black Bezels:
BlackedoutFront.jpg

Black Virgos:
IMG_9879Medium.jpg

'Paint Booth'
IMG_9884Medium.jpg

IMG_9895Medium.jpg

IMG_9900Medium.jpg

Phantom II's:
IMG_0083Medium.jpg

IMG_0080Medium.jpg

Stock Engine Bay:
IMG_0051Medium.jpg

IMG_0047Medium.jpg

Torn Apart:
IMG_0460Medium.jpg

IMG_0458Medium.jpg

IMG_0455Medium.jpg

B21F:
IMG_0611Medium.jpg

IMG_0606Medium.jpg

90+ Exhaust Manifold:
IMG_0589Medium.jpg

IMG_0588Medium.jpg

KKK24:
IMG_0401Medium.jpg

IMG_0402Medium.jpg

62068985.jpg

KJet UNinstalled:
IMG_0669Medium.jpg

EVO VIII Intercooler:
IMG_0630Medium.jpg

IMG_0673Medium.jpg

IMG_0674Medium.jpg

IMG_0693Medium.jpg

IMG_0676Medium.jpg

IMG_0682Medium.jpg

IMG_0694Medium.jpg

IMG_0697Medium.jpg

IMG_0699Medium.jpg

IMG_0702Medium.jpg

How It 'SHould' Look After:
Hawt.jpg

How It 'Looks' Now(Picture will Change with Each Day Spent on it):
IMG_0691Medium.jpg

Looks great man!!!! Can wait to see her done, and running!!!

This build along with dougs has inspired me to do something similar to my 78 242GT!!!! Now i just need some cash, hahahaha

That is a really clean 242!
Does it have the really cool black on white velour 81 GLT interior? I love that combo.
Only thing glaring that I would ever change is deleting the commando bumpers...it makes an old 240 look a few decades newer.
Funny, the shot of the gauges is really neat, but it is also cool how the silver looks just like the gold metallic in that light.

Ok so doug and i did ALOT more work this weekend on the 242. things went very very smoothly.

srt4 550cc injectors. no drilling needed.
IMG_0714Medium.jpg

They plugg right in
IMG_0715Medium.jpg

Love these things so far, now only if i could drive the car.
IMG_0716Medium.jpg

IMG_0719Medium.jpg

Almost done with the Cold side of the motor. fuel rail....
IMG_0730Medium.jpg

IMG_0722Medium.jpg

The remote oil filter kit from jeggs. mounts so clean, and makes oil changes a breeze so i was happy with that
IMG_0732Medium.jpg

where the filter use to be...
IMG_0747Medium.jpg

and where it is now. (no its not too close to the down pipe guyshahaha)

Mallory 6-AL and MS mounted up.
IMG_0737Medium.jpg

mallory is upside down for a reason, the rev limitor switch is on the side facing the rear of the car so for easy access to change, it had to be mounted this way.

And my favorite. the IC stuff came out AWESOME!!!!! i am very very happy with the way its coming, its going to be welded tomorrow and everything. doug and i have been amped on the IC project part since the beginning, and both of us think that thats going to be the high light of this car.

IMG_0749Medium.jpg

Cuttin the piping to fit.
IMG_0756Medium.jpg

COldside, goes right under the battery mount platform.
IMG_0759Medium.jpg

then bends around the wheel well where it hits into a 45* ilicone elbow, then 90's up into a hump coupler then onto the throttlebody.
IMG_0763Medium.jpg

And the hott side. we had to use the old turbo and clock it to the position that the new turbo is going to be at.(k24 is with ben having oilfeed adapters made)
IMG_0764Medium.jpg

IMG_0773Medium.jpg

and with an intake, Darn this engine bay is gonna be sexors.

Then i had to cut out a bit of the reenforcement that the bumper bolts to so i can get some more flow on the IC. turned out really well. let me know what u think guys.
IMG_0778Medium.jpg

and the pride and joy of the project. the IC!!!!!!!!
IMG_0788Medium.jpg

The only complaint I have... Is why did you mount the IC right behind the bumper? Is it not going to block flow to what looks like 70% of the IC? Why not just flip the IC over (have the IC pipes in the same location) but the IC up wehre the stock one was? Thats my only question.
But otherwise, that looks damn nice. Wish I could be working on my car!

Jordan

GTJordan said:
The only complaint I have... Is why did you mount the IC right behind the bumper? Is it not going to block flow to what looks like 70% of the IC? Why not just flip the IC over (have the IC pipes in the same location) but the IC up wehre the stock one was? Thats my only question.
But otherwise, that looks damn nice. Wish I could be working on my car!

Jordan

oh just wait, 70% of it wont be blocked hahaha. custom front bumper in the worx FTW!!!

GTJordan said:
Werd

Awsome, thats all I was wondering, looking sweet!

Jordan

thanks man. yeh when we first threw tha IC on and the bumper was on i liked it and all, and i knew itd get enough flow, jsut cuz thered be enough air circulating anyway through there. but then doug reminded me about a certain bumper idea and so my paint and body guy has lets see......3 front airdams and a euro bumper that he will be fabing up a front bumper+lip/airdam for the car once i can get it running and up to his shop. im hoping itll come out ok, he usually pulls through pretty well. thanks again jordan

brian

If you slice carefully, removing most of where the license plate goes on a skinny bumper can actually look just fine. I plan to trim mine to put the oil cooler on my 240NA...that or delete the airbox and put it there, which I am reluctant to do since I like the paper filter for off road and in general. If you have some sheet aluminum you can also pretty easily build an air guide from the inlets on the deeper front airdam that comes on skinny bumper turbo cars (can you tell I dispise commandos yet?).
Anyway, looks great! Tho, isn't a K24 a bit tiny...I mean...you do have Doug helping you...there is a certain lack of holset I feel that is required with B21F intake 550cc injector fun.

945ti said:
If you slice carefully, removing most of where the license plate goes on a skinny bumper can actually look just fine. I plan to trim mine to put the oil cooler on my 240NA...that or delete the airbox and put it there, which I am reluctant to do since I like the paper filter for off road and in general. If you have some sheet aluminum you can also pretty easily build an air guide from the inlets on the deeper front airdam that comes on skinny bumper turbo cars (can you tell I dispise commandos yet?).
Anyway, looks great! Tho, isn't a K24 a bit tiny...I mean...you do have Doug helping you...there is a certain lack of holset I feel that is required with B21F intake 550cc injector fun.

the bumper and FMIC are going to be the highlights of this car so....doug and i have a great plan for what is gonna happen, i also have an OUTSTANDING bodyshop guy that is doing mine for free so ill post pics in a few weeks when i get it on.

i also think the injectors might be a BIT big but i think they will work out fine. as for the k24, that bicth is gonna spool up pretty damn quickly so...we will see how it comes out.

UPDATE!!!!!!

Silicone came in today, and had the IC piping welded......

Love it or hate it, my buddy Bailey and I tiger striped the ISH outta the IC piping, it looks really raw and awesome i love it.

IMG_0809Medium.jpg

Hawtness
IMG_0814Medium.jpg

holy HUGE front mount batman

IMG_0821Medium.jpg

IMG_0823Medium.jpg

my buddy blake on the left with his english bulldog 'Moki' and the stud Bailey, master mind behind the IC striping
IMG_0824Medium.jpg

T clamps, only way to go

ANd the Tiger Striping, its super dead sexy if u ask me bailey or joseph.
IMG_0825Medium.jpg

The hawt side

IMG_0827Medium.jpg

and the cold side u can kinda see.

OK well after, 3 different trys to fit the IC w/ the 90* coupilers, we got it in, and having to run the dye grinder at 1230 at night, it was a fun night, just messing around on the car. more updates saturday and sunday guys, thanksa again

Brian

one question, if i may. i check performance like twice a week at least, and have never seen/heard anyone talk about converting from a b23 intake mani to a b21. what is the reasoning behind this?

fast progress, it seems, nice work!

nate_bass said:
one question, if i may. i check performance like twice a week at least, and have never seen/heard anyone talk about converting from a b23 intake mani to a b21. what is the reasoning behind this?

fast progress, it seems, nice work!

all 240 turbos came with b21fts - the intake manifolds are totally different from the b23's, the b21f intake is the one pictured , I reckon the theory is longer runner, a lil more bottom end torque.

It's been done a few times - (ie John, Aspirator)

Great build up guys!

Back