• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

airbox / fender

Nutzfleisch

Hi,

i`ve a question about the airbox. somewhere in the production they change the airbox to suck air directly from the engine bay. Before that through the fender. I got my box out, the "hole" is still in the fender. was there anything inside the fender / or box to prevent sucking splashwater and dust.

Thanks alot

Armin

There's generally a plastic inner fender/fender liner that sites between the wheel and the area the airbox is pulling from.

On extended drives on dusty roads, you could end up clogging the air filter with dust. But the intake system is designed to handle dust and a modest amount of water coming in in the inlet side.

If you were going to be in really, really dusty conditions a lot of the time, maybe ponder doing something different. Otherwise, just let the filter do its job. And replace it every so often. And under heavy dusty use, maybe take it out and whack it on the ground every once in a while to knock the dust out of it.

My 4Runner had a similar intake setup - stock airbox pulls air from inside the passenger side fender area - just a plastic liner keeping stuff out of it. On long desert drives out west, I did have issues with the filter clogging up - and really fine 'moon dust' that could get through the filter dirtying up the MAf and causing power loss and CEL's. So I stuck a snorkel on it. Chopped a big hole in the fender with a hole saw, snorkel reaches through that to the airbox, and now it pulls clean(er) cool air from up near the top of the windshield.

Back