• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Homer's 1990 240 redblock exorcism

Seems pretty silly to not do it considering it's out of the car and apart right now... what, do you need to get it installed for this weekend or what?

Seriously just do it, it takes an hour.

Seems pretty silly to not do it considering it's out of the car and apart right now... what, do you need to get it installed for this weekend or what?

Seriously just do it, it takes an hour.

Doesn't seem silly to me. I don't have a welder at my disposal, It'd take way more than an hour.

Doesn't seem silly to me. I don't have a welder at my disposal, It'd take way more than an hour.

why would it take more than a hour to tack the stop ring? seems like a worth while thing to do rather than pay for it down the road when it breaks...

How long it takes also seems to be depending on the version of M90 you have. I wrestled with removing the axle that needs welding for quite some time and gave up. One gear was completely irremovable with my puller (a good one) and the whole shaft jammed to the others when you tried to wiggle it out and stuff. From other people that have done the mod, i heard that it was much more easy to remove. It would have been nice if i could have welded the stop ring but so far so good, no issues whatsoever. If it ever breaks i'll fix it then...

if i come across the starter bracket i'll let you know. You still need the plug to cover the holes of the a/c lines in the firewall plate? Maybe an (euro) version cable operated heating/ventilation unit as well? just thinking out loud.

How long it takes also seems to be depending on the version of M90 you have. I wrestled with removing the axle that needs welding for quite some time and gave up. One gear was completely irremovable with my puller (a good one) and the whole shaft jammed to the others when you tried to wiggle it out and stuff. From other people that have done the mod, i heard that it was much more easy to remove. It would have been nice if i could have welded the stop ring but so far so good, no issues whatsoever. If it ever breaks i'll fix it then...

if i come across the starter bracket i'll let you know. You still need the plug to cover the holes of the a/c lines in the firewall plate? Maybe an (euro) version cable operated heating/ventilation unit as well? just thinking out loud.

Plugs, for sure. That'd be excellent. I'd rather not convert to the cable operated unit. I'll make some blanking plates for the evap.

The trick is you need a beefy 2 jaw puller. A 3 jaw doesn't fit in there properly without disassembling a lot of crap.

Sucks about the bracket. :-( I guess it's possible to make one, but what a pita. You'd think there has to be one collecting dust in a warehouse somewhere...

Well hells yeah. Insurance claim on the tarbo got approved by USPS. The check is getting mailed today.
I essentially got the turbo for free. :-D

Yeah I haven't given up on the starter thing yet. I think it needs more prodding from a higher up at volvo.

No pics. I should have the engine early next week.
Ordered all the seals and wear parts I needed for the M90.
Also have a replacement compressor wheel on the way for the holset.
Uploaded parts diagrams for everyone.
M90%20Clutch.jpg

M90%20Mount.jpg

M90%20Shift.jpg

M90%20Trans.jpg

Back