• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

V90, 965 strut and shock question

That bushing will eventually fail just like the OEM is in no doubt. The question is will it hold longer to cut the replacement time and cost at least in half. If it replicated the OEM design exactly, it might in theory. But your point is that it has a bit different build, not fully compatible with its due functionality?

That bushing will eventually fail just like the OEM is in no doubt. The question is will it hold longer to cut the replacement time and cost at least in half. If it replicated the OEM design exactly, it might in theory. But your point is that it has a bit different build, not fully compatible with its due functionality?

poly is worse than rubber at deflecting and stretching. It will either fail quicker or put extra stress on all other components, like the control arm or the chassis.

Hmm, poly is able to stand up higher loads and compression just by its pure physical properties. It is also chemically more inert.

But i would agree that a bad design can turn odds around, and thus it's important to follow OEM as closely as possible. Of course, poly won't deflect as much which means a harsher ride and possible vibrations, but could it be beneficial for performance and feel of the road?

Hmm, poly is able to stand up higher loads and compression just by its pure physical properties. It is also chemically more inert.

But i would agree that a bad design can turn odds around, and thus it's important to follow OEM as closely as possible. Of course, poly won't deflect as much which means a harsher ride and possible vibrations, but could it be beneficial for performance and feel of the road?

Compression isn't what kills the volvo rubber bushings and has little bearing on the ride quality. So that is an irrelevant point to bring up as is the fact that they are more inert as those bushings should not be exposed to oil.

Got any other red herrings to throw out?

Compression isn't what kills the volvo rubber bushings and has little bearing on the ride quality. So that is an irrelevant point to bring up as is the fact that they are more inert as those bushings should not be exposed to oil.

Got any other red herrings to throw out?

I'm not associated with this company in any way, i just need a good bushing
smile.gif

Between the three - OEM, Poly and Spherical i would choose latter 'cause i trust you. But no body seems to make it. So between OEM and Poly providing it's made 1 to 1 design copy just of different material, i would go for Poly with no hesitation 'cause i trust myself too.

For now i can see the design is a bit different, in attempt to clear things up i requested additional views of the item. But the company deals with various car brands, so not expecting a quick answer here.

Business response.

New photos have arrived:

20181115_103126.jpg

20181115_103134.jpg

20181115_103147.jpg

These new bushings look like to be able to withstand tons of load, but the pivotal movement range might be quite a bit shorter. Here is the OEM part for reference.

fcp_9191537.jpg

So now the main question i guess is how it will affect the ride.
--
Apologizing for further hijacking the thread, i would move it to the proper department if i knew how.

V70II/etc. has smaller front control arm rear bushing and it's solid rubber. Powerflex poly replacement is solid as well. One would think that it has been tested or they wouldn't be selling it? 960/V90 poly at least has some room for movement.

Still I might recommend a stiffer suspension with these to reduce movement. On my cars that's almost mandatory :)

V70II/etc. has smaller front control arm rear bushing and it's solid rubber. Powerflex poly replacement is solid as well. One would think that it has been tested or they wouldn't be selling it? 960/V90 poly at least has some room for movement.

Still I might recommend a stiffer suspension with these to reduce movement. On my cars that's almost mandatory :)

devil is in the details, your post lacks all of them. ;-)

These new bushings look like to be able to withstand tons of load, but the pivotal movement range might be quite a bit shorter. Here is the OEM part for reference.

fcp_9191537.jpg

So now the main question i guess is how it will affect the ride.
--
Apologizing for further hijacking the thread, i would move it to the proper department if i knew how.

If you want to educate yourself. pivot the stock control arms by hand and see how much force it takes. Install your poly bushing and then see how much force it takes,,, you might find answers for all those questions you have.

Yes, see... im not the only one who understands how poly works.
Yeah, i know that you like this movement to be controlled by the c/o strut not interfered with other suspension parts. Poly of course doesn't help much in this regard, since it has more shape memory and thus acts like a spring on its own :oogle: And because it's a pivotal movement, that inner metal tube can not be of much use in this type of bushing. Is my assumption correct?

With my stock ride height this bushing might not cover the entire suspension travel, thus would be prone to excessive forces it is not designed for. Do i still follow the idea?

But if the car is lowered that amplitude might turn out to be just enough, mightn't. Because the lower height dramatically influences on stock bushing life this new one might just serve longer.

devil is in the details, your post lacks all of them. ;-)
So you know how long poly lasts in V70II? Bushings are in the same position and the control arm behaves similarly in both cars.

Stock rubber bushing is sloppy straight out of the box, I'd rather try poly. It's cheaper than the alternative, which is machining V70II rear bushing or similar to fit. Lasts 250-300k km or more depending on use.

Last edited:
Mind you, this is really a special bushing with the rotation axis at 90 ? to the insider tube! So Poly does not serve its usual purpose here. Me guess this is the sticking point.

Last edited:
Mind you, this is really a special bushing with the rotation axis at 90 ? to the insider tube! So Poly does not serve its usual purpose here. Me guess this is the sticking point.
And that's why I'm referring to the V70II rear bushing. If only 960/V90 stock rear bushing would be solid rubber, there wouldn't be that much of a need for stiffer option. Not too uncommon in many small cars.

Didn't manage to find any experiences on the V70 Powerflex solid poly(might have had wrong search terms). Instead found SuperPro poly for V70 and it takes the rotation in to consideration. Center hole is smaller in the middle, giving more room for the rotation.

Could be, however I can see many new stock parts are modified, but this particular bushing still come unchanged both from OEM and third-party suppliers, though think it would be easier just to make it one piece solid rubber.

I could possibly have an interest in trying a set depending on price. I'm no expert on poly, but I do see a problem with the flexing. I agree that the rubber are junk out of the box.

I'm on board if someone wants to start some sort of group buy setup. They've got to be better than any bushings on my car. With the limit parts availablity on these cars I'm kinda surprised more people aren't jumping at the opportunity to "once and done" that irs

The manufacturer made point that this type of bushing is usually ordered by drivers with AirRide or other suspension modifications who demanded harder material, and they were pretty happy with the product. It's been on the market for over a year now. Personally i don't have too many questions about other items in the line 'cause they look to be very well made indeed.

In my situation with the stock ride height this puck bushing might not work in full travel range, just as Ben mentioned. If it had exact same design as the OEM one but only implemented in PU, i would have no hesitation 'cause Poly is just better material, besides it has all the required flexibility for the application, so no worries about premature failure here. At least not for my part )

Another point i agree on is that PU would not be the best choice for the spherical bushing introduced earlier, for it might well be too soft. PTFE would likely be a better bet, but then it's hard to say how the car would feel with it, thou i see this type is not uncommon with other brands:

bmw_bushing.png

This setup is popular with offroad drivers too.

Back