• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

140 clutch cable washers

AndrewNance

Amateur hour!
Trying to swap out my clutch cable in the 142 and I can?t see the purpose of these rubber washers at the firewall end. They aren?t thick enough to take all of the slack out of that end of the cable. Is it supposed to be this way? Could I use a few thick metal washers in place of the rubber ones to firm it up? FWIW the clutch never engaged smoothly and it felt like the problem was on the pedal end of the whole thing. It always felt very notchy.

There is supposed to be a grommet in the firewall that takes up some space and they are still available.

677056.jpg

It seems like it would be a lot smoother and happier with just metal washers on each side. It seems like it can’t be as snug as it should be with the rubber in there.

Also I had an NOS cable that came with the car :oogle:

It seems like it would be a lot smoother and happier with just metal washers on each side. It seems like it can?t be as snug as it should be with the rubber in there.

Also I had an NOS cable that came with the car :oogle:

Besides the grommet, there is supposed to be a metal washer on either side of the grommet.

There are supposed to be 2 metal washers, 1 on each side of the grommet.

The originals have the same outer diameter, but the washer for the under hood side has a larger hole so it can go over the shoulder section of the clutch cable where it goes through the grommet.

Back