• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Not really very Turbobricks like...

driedle

Hey everybody...

Found some really good oil.

It's Royal Purple synthetic oil, but on top of that, it is diesel oil and has the same detergent package as Rotella, etc. It's $36 for the 4-quaart container, so it's only $8.00 a quart.

Not really Turbobricks kind of stuff, but it IS mighty fine oil.

It does get expensive on the 164, however, since it uses 6 quarts of oil....

:roll:

Dave Riedle

Just gonna say I've never had any issues with Rotella. T6 synthetic is sometihng like $20-25 for a gallon.

Never had any oil related problems at all . . . ever. Caught Mobile 1 5 qt at Walmart for less than $22. $4.50 / qt.

I hope everybody does not think I was saying "use this oil or else..."

I have had outstanding results with Royal Purple, and have used their oil in all of my street cars and race cars for years. I'm using it in the 164, as well as the Royal Purple gear oil in my gearbox and rear end. I have never had an issue, and testing seems to indicate that it has a superior metal wear package based on standard bearing tests. Of course it also has a diesel-spec detergent package as well.

The 15W-40 diesel oil is not advertised much, and I think it might be the best of all worlds in an older Volvo.

I ran Amzoil engine flush first, and then added the oil. Synthetics clean the engine much, much better than Dino oils, and I am hoping I will be able to eat off the inside of the engine when I replace the rocker cover later this year. I will let everybody know what the results are.

Also, I think with the limited miles I run every year with the 164, I may be able to get two years out of the oil.

Dave Riedle

this stuff is good for the older cars, but it has a bit too much molybdenum to be using in the b27/b28, clogs those followers up.

i also run the amsoil for marine diesels for cleanliness, of course, you could always do the dyno oil with a quart of diesel fuel trick for 20 minutes :lol:

Back