• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Who's using "Dust-Off" as Air Conditioner refrigerant?

Ursan

Bored Member
Ie compressed "air" cans.

Seems to be made of the stuff that's replacing R134a.

Thoughts? Experiences? Appears to work as well as R12 and is "safer" for the air we breathe.

Specifically the dust blowers with "Difluoroethane".

Josh Hamilton is, if you track him down on FB. I dunno if he's in this part of the forum much, so I dunno if he'll see this. He was giving me some crash course in it, and he's very happy with it. Blows ice cold, I think towards a year later.

I tried it (air duster), dont waste your time. Few yrs ago it worked but now they have changed the chemicals in it and has alot of junk in it. I tried it 2 yrs. ago out of curiusity. Coldest I could get was 48 degrees. I dumped the system started over with propane and got 42 but it will freeze up on you. Now have duracool and works great 38 degrees with 95 outside. You can get duracool cheap from there website.

Last edited:
that's cus it kinda sucks, especially in an r12 car.

...at least in comparison to the r12 and older freon stuff.

R134a works as good as R12 if you get the right orifice tube (or adjust expansion valve) and get an R134a compressor.

yes, 134a works great in my 2012 honda. But in an R12 car its worthless in a hot climate with high humidity. Some people will argue that but they dont live in Misery Mo. Now if you change condenser, expansinon valve, drier, evaporator and expansion valve. It will work great but I would still put my money on duracool will be better with just some maintenance parts (drier, EXP valve,). Im going to get a bigger condenser and see if I can get mine down to 32 degrees with duracool. I believe it can be done. With my orginal compressor.

I have run both in my 90 245.. The lowest outlet temps I've seen out of the center vent is about 50 degrees on both air duster and R134a.. The pre 91 240 AC just sucks there is no way around that..

-Sam

I installed an upgraded universal parallel condenser and 54 was still as good as I could get. Thats in 100 degree heat though.

yes, 134a works great in my 2012 honda. But in an R12 car its worthless in a hot climate with high humidity. Some people will argue that but they dont live in Misery Mo. Now if you change condenser, expansinon valve, drier, evaporator and expansion valve. It will work great but I would still put my money on duracool will be better with just some maintenance parts (drier, EXP valve,). Im going to get a bigger condenser and see if I can get mine down to 32 degrees with duracool. I believe it can be done. With my orginal compressor.

I made the switch to R-134a in my 1982 Toyota Supra last year. It blows plenty cold. I think Toyota oversized the a/c in that car, it came with a little fan that cools the condenser, which really helps when you are idling. The first thing I did when I got it was have the compressor replaced, that was about 10 or 11 years ago, so it was probably rebuilt to R134a standards. Maybe. A freon system was just too much of a hassle to get serviced and at the time I didn't know how to charge it myself. With the R134a the gauge that came with my first can seems to work well enough, I keep it on the low side of the "charged" range.

Back