• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Intake manifold on 16 valve

ODDmanout

Hello and thanks for watching.

I am totally unsure, but since I am bored, I will attempt to fix a vacuum leak on my 1990 740 GLE by replacing intake gasket. I have never done a 16-valve so any advice would be great.

The plan is to take off intake with most of the items still on it. Fuel rail, injectors and so on.
At the time I will also replace the oil trap and clean TB.

On a completly unrelated subject.....Over the past 3-4 years I have brought a 69 Dodge Dart back to life along with a '76 240. I have noticed along the way that I spend alot of time fixing past "repairs". One of the best is when I was looking at the rear brakes on the '76. Some how when the dofuss replaced the pads they lost a few parts, so instead of spending the couple of dollars of new pins they filled the entire area with RTV silicon. You can't make that up:roll:

Take the intake manifold off. Scrape off the old gasket, install new gasket, put intake back on. Not rocket surgery. Get'r done.

I suppose it will take you less time to replace an intake manifold gasket than the length of time this thread has been in existence. If you're looking for hand holding... well... it's not that bad of a job.

It does look like an easy job. Just thought I would ask before I did something stupid and preventable. An ounce of prevention......

snap pix of the bay BEFORE you start ripping and tearing..
good reference for a car that WORKED BEFORE YOU STARTED
FIXING IT.....

Back