• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

press fit wheel adapters?

90volvo

I have some wheel adapters with 63.4mm inside diameter. I know Volvo 240 hubs are 65.1. My question is could I heat up the adapters (alum.) and get them over the hub? If Im figuring correctly its about .062 difference.
Or should I get them turned to 65.1? Thanks for advice in advance.

That's a huge difference in press fit tolerances. Usually fits are something like .0005-.001 inches interference per inch of diameter.

Maybe open it up using a brake hone. Part stores used to do brake wheel cylinder honing. Press fit is usually 0.002".

I ran into the same issue ordering 5x108 - 5x114 adapters recently. I don't have the time from work to make it to a machine shop to have them bored out to the correct size, so I just ordered a 65mm hole saw and am going to come up with something to hold the adapter steady while I use a drill and the hole saw to open up the center of the hub. I only need to cut about 2mm deep. From there I'm just going to use a dremel tool and cutoff wheel to trim from the inside and remove the ring I cut with the hole saw.

I want them to fit tight so they stay centered. If I wasnt worried about it I would use a die grinder. Im running lug centric now and its kinda a pain, all shops zip wheels on and of course I have to go home and jack car up and fix it. My back is getting tired so Im gonna try and get it setup right this time around. Thanks

hole saws and rims dont interfere... just please go to a machine shop and let them make things right...

I don't understand. All I need to take off of the center of the adapters is about 2mm deep to clear the Volvo hubs. It has nothing to do with the wheels.

all you need to do is to drill or machine the hole on the adapters to make the hub fit.. yes.. but you need to do that centered.. the money you bought the holesaw for could have been someone with a lathe ;)

It's like $50 or less. .0001 tolerance. Had to have my rimps sent to a shop to be bored to 65.1. Cost like $75 because they were large. Going to chance hosing things up with a hole saw. 2mm can cause .1 and make you buy new adapters.

all you need to do is to drill or machine the hole on the adapters to make the hub fit.. yes.. but you need to do that centered.. the money you bought the holesaw for could have been someone with a lathe ;)

Kind of tough when you work 7-7 M-F and machine shops aren't open on the weekends.

Take it to the machine shop and have it opened up that is the best option

if you open it up off center you run the risk of the adapter and the wheel being off center and rolling like a cam lobe

Take it to the machine shop and have it opened up that is the best option

if you open it up off center you run the risk of the adapter and the wheel being off center and rolling like a cam lobe

if it's opened up a little larger than the Volvo hub, it would then be no different that the non-hubcentric adapters I ran with the Tritons with no issues. The adapters would still be centered to the rotor hat with conical seat lug nuts.

Buncha Sissies

if it's opened up a little larger than the Volvo hub, it would then be no different that the non-hubcentric adapters I ran with the Tritons with no issues. The adapters would still be centered to the rotor hat with conical seat lug nuts.

:nod:

If you can't find it grind it.

Hub centric wasn't even a thing on Volvos till '75 after all...

Das-kannste-schon-so-machen---weiss.png

;)

Back