• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T3/T4 not spooling in first

Ok, didn't get the chance to drive lots but here are the first results. I only had the chance to do tests with the EBC off not with settings adjusted yet. So I was correct, my wastegate spring is indeed a 5psi spring as when I hit 5 psi it would not go past. As for spool rpm, in second I managed to hit 5psi by 4000rpm and in 3rd I hit it at 3000 both at wot. Didn't have the chance to test 4th as my car began misfiring (determined it was a bad spark plug wire so I'll replace that asap, anybody know any cheap but decent auto parts store replacements?). The car felt better, could have been just me but before it started misfiring it felt like it was pretty quick. I'm excited to slowly work my way up to 20psi and maybe more. If these results are indeed ok.

Still seems slow..

My 940T could (eventually) build 5psi at T/C stall speed which is roughly 2500rpm? with a .63 hot side and was at 18 by 4,000-ish. Granted, your cold side is larger than mine was. My old turbo was a cheapo .50/.63 ebay affair. You may still have a leak somewhere.

Do you have factory sized piping? When you had the flange on the ebay manifold flipped, did you make sure the ports on the head flange lined up nicely with the runners? Was there any overlap between the flange and the tubing? Maybe a restriction there.. but still sounds like it may be leaking boost/air.

Low boost in first gear is still not surprising.

Never heard of Altrom but I got my last set of NGK wires at the local NAPA if I recall correctly.

Still seems slow..

My 940T could (eventually) build 5psi at T/C stall speed which is roughly 2500rpm? with a .63 hot side and was at 18 by 4,000-ish. Granted, your cold side is larger than mine was. My old turbo was a cheapo .50/.63 ebay affair. You may still have a leak somewhere.

Do you have factory sized piping? When you had the flange on the ebay manifold flipped, did you make sure the ports on the head flange lined up nicely with the runners? Was there any overlap between the flange and the tubing? Maybe a restriction there.. but still sounds like it may be leaking boost/air.

Low boost in first gear is still not surprising.

Never heard of Altrom but I got my last set of NGK wires at the local NAPA if I recall correctly.

Yea I'm not sure about the boost, most of my piping is factory sized aside from the piping to the bigger intercooler (although this is only bigger piping). I did check the mani before installing and the flange lined up great. Were you still running a stock T cam like me?

Wonder if I'll be able to return the cheapies once I get my new wires.

Buy cheapies to get you by, and then order some Kinsborne wires from the states.

http://www.kingsbornewires.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1938

This.

I've been running their wires on a few vehicles for quite a while. Mine were cheaper after shipping and tax, with the firebraid and a custom coil wire than a new set of Bougi's, let alone that $70 set from Napa. Grante I'm assuming that $70 is Canadian monies though...

$70 napa wires would be the "cheap wires to get me by" as those are the cheapest wires I can find here in calgary that'll fit my car. Hoping I can open the box very carefully as to be able to return them after. Found a guy selling a new set of bougicords and is willing to ship them to me for $30 plus shipping CAD only from Ontario as for the kingsborne wires, I have a feeling shipping will be expensive as when checking out it says "shipping estimation not available, we will contact you." So I'm tempted to go for the bougicords.

If you're sweating bullets over $40 Canuckistani pesos for spark plug wires you should probably not be trying to cobble together a fast car...

$70 napa wires would be the "cheap wires to get me by" as those are the cheapest wires I can find here in calgary that'll fit my car. Hoping I can open the box very carefully as to be able to return them after. Found a guy selling a new set of bougicords and is willing to ship them to me for $30 plus shipping CAD only from Ontario as for the kingsborne wires, I have a feeling shipping will be expensive as when checking out it says "shipping estimation not available, we will contact you." So I'm tempted to go for the bougicords.

Bougicord wires are OE quality and will last several years.

Good news, didn't even need new wires. Found a different bougicord of the correct length in my bin of parts that I had deemed broken earlier before but discovered it simply had an old spark plug cap still in the connector hence why it wasn't working right. Removed that, installed it and it worked like a charm. Time to experiment with more boost :)

Just wondering what kind of performance you're expecting from this earlier version of the B230FT? Do you have a later replacement engine lined up just in case of a blown engine? The slightly improved K block didn't appear until mid 1988, then the 13 mm connecting rods in 1990 or 1991.

Last edited:
Update: turned up the boost to 15psi to start, was hitting that by around 4500 ish in second. Set boost up to 18ish psi and was hitting that around 5k in second and pulled very hard until redline. in third it hit 18psi by around 4300 but didn't pull as hard as second. Didn't quite feel as much like boost as second which I believe is expected in third gear. So far no pinging as far as my ping-virgin ears can tell, I've heard it sounds like marbles in a can which I never heard. So more boost? Hoping and ipd cam and adjustable cam gear will help me hit peak boost a little earlier in the rpm range.

Exhaust is quite loud as it's out the hood although I've heard hood exits are quieter than open dp's.. Can anyone link me to a clip of what pinging sounds like? Will I know it when I hear it?

Didn't have much pipe so I made due. Now can we talk about my results? Good? Bad? What does everybody think?

Also is ping really noticeable?

Lastly should I return my base timing to 12 btdc instead of the 15 it's at now? Could this be contributing somehow?

Edit: forgot to mention that the turbo only really begins pulling at around 10psi at least in second. Up to 10 psi, acceleration is decently slow, but after 10psi, the boost shoots up to 18 very quickly. I've heard of people saying the stock T cam won't rev well past 4800, but past 4800 was when my car pulled the best... could just be the settings on the EBC which I have yet to tune, but as of now, in second at least, I often feel like the rev limit is the only thing stopping this thing from hauling a** a lot longer.

Last edited:
Back