• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1989 740 n/a to turbo

Daingerwagon

Hey all , I'm new to this site and also to the world of volvos, with that being said i recently inherited a 89 740 n/a wagon with the plans to just drive it, until..... i found out what these little motors are capable of. I have been looking into a bunch of different posts about a +t or buying a turbo motor and just swapping it, i chose to go the route of a swap and picked up a 88' 760 turbo for $250 that couldn't pass inspection due to rot on the frame. Does anyone have links to where i could find this information or have any wisdom they'd be willing to share? Much appreciated

I'd suggest reading the sticky at least twice and then looking at the two cars parked side by side and visualizing what needs to be done, how you will do it, and how it will look when it is done. After that, post any questions you have or get started and then post any questions you have.

There are other members in NY, so you might be able to have someone give you a hand if your schedules match up, you have a decent place to work, and maybe some cold beer on hand. They might even have some bits that you might want to install at the time of the swap (91+ exhaust manifold, later intercooler (also 91+ IIRC), etc). I happen to have those parts and a little bit of time to offer as well. But, I live on Long Island, and based on your description of the donor car, I'm guessing that you live on the PA border or somewhere else upstate.

Good luck with your project and you might want to start stashing cash on the side, get rid of you significant other, and eliminate other hobbies and things in your life that will take time away from focusing on your Volvo. It's a long slippery slope...

Oh yeah, and let's not forget: that any true friend will be willing to work long hours on your car, split his/her knuckles open, wax poetically for hours on end about how Volvo solved the problem of plastic taking thousands of years to degrade and implemented it's use on all interior parts, etc with no pay or other reimbursement or they really aren't a friend after all. Maybe take 1h 50min and watch Christine (1983) as a primer to the rabbit hole that you just stepped into?

Last edited:
Deadken I appreciate the input especially the Christine suggestion (one of my favorite movies) I’m located right next to West Point military academy so not too far from the island, I bought the car from up past Troy ny so yea she’s not too nice underneath but the motor is in great shape and runs like a top.

This is an easy swap. Just swap engine and trans with harness intact. Swap computers and fuel injectors. Even though it's easy it will be labor intensive. Take pictures of how everything is situated on the donor car. And just do it.

It is a Regina which is the reason I bought a complete turbo donor car instead of just getting a motor because I wasn?t sure what I would need extra besides motor and computer, the donor car is an automatic and my 740 is manual with the m47 I believe so I want to use that instead of the automatic. Also the 760 I bought has an independent rear...are those worth using or are they junk?

Back