• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Eco-Bricks - 35+mpg club

Thats impressive on B99. My mileage goes to sh*t on b100. Its a consitant 5+mpg loss.

My GT doesn't have an odometer. so Its out. but I will tell of a previous setup on my GT when it did have odometer.

'79 242 GT body.
'84 B23F 10.3:1 CR
B cam
Cone air filter with metal tubing to place the filter in the front just behind the grille.
LH 2.0. with breakerless ignition system from my original GT setup.
Exhaust was pretty much the IPD sport system. with gutted cat.
Car was lowered with skid pan in place (important for aerodynamics. )
the intake manifold I releifed the injector bosses a bit on the inside of the runners and put a swirl cut into the runners. put a knife edge on the throttle plate.

I think that does it for mods.
I always carried abunch of stuff with me. 2 x 12inch subs in big heavy box. spare parts and big tool box. spare tire and such.

even had the M46 still in it.
My rear end was also switched from the 411 ratio to the 373 I think I still have ATF as the lubricant in the rear end also.

I seemed to have pulled 35mpg hwy on this setup a couple of years before I switched to a +T and ruined my milage.

My Diesel kicks ass. I seem to get 26 city and 38 hwy I have had it upto 44mpg when I first got this swap going. oh I run b99 most the time, with better results with b99.

I know I am supposed to submit evidence of this all I was just recounting what I had done in the past with my GT which suprised me and other I have showed. I will get some proof of the Diesel's Mpg here in a while. thank you.

i get the club thing like with the HP club, but will there be a sub division in performance and mod or possibly maintenance to help toss ideas or showcase build threads?

I got a consistent 35mpg on my 84 diesel wagon right up to the day I quit driving it due to it being hard to start from low compression. Now I did drive it for two months when it was push start only and it still got 35mpg. I'm hoping for 40mpg with the new motor with head studs instead of head bolts to eliminate cylinder wall distortion.

Simon

with the apexi on the 97 960 i was able to lean it out a little and running 55mph with a load in the trunk and the air shocks and the tires at 40psi i was able to get 37.4mpg on a run from appleton to Chicago and back

this was on E20

Keep in mind that most odometers/speedometers are off in stock Volvos. Mine reads about 5.05 miles in 5 actual miles, and that's with tires that are .3" taller than the stock 185/70-14s that came on my car. Stock sized would read even more miles for the same distance. And, you know that almost everyone is running a size that wasn't standard on these cars anyway... So I say odometer readings are no good unless it's been tested accurate, or very close to it. I checked mine on the way up from Salem yesterday. I figure if I pump my tires back up to 40psi from the 32 they were at on the drive I'll be just about spot on. HA! I did calculate the 215/45-17s to be the right size for odometer accuracy when I was running other size tires, but damn, that's pretty spot on. :)

My roommate's '83 245dl was "going" 325+mi on a tank until we fitted it with a more proper odometer/speedometer that matches his sedan sized tires a little better. Even now though, the speedometer reads at least 5% high...(195/60-15s)

Box Stock

+1 on the odo inaccuracies.
Point to point verifiable on MapQuest would be good.

245-M46/311's/Lh2.2/91 octane,tire pressure @ 40 psi, 60mph on a level freeway,non stop,with reasonable sized tires would probably be 35 mpg.
So yea the Volvo engineers did it a long time ago,we just seem to have left the fold.

i find the map sites are sometimes off. i drove a chevy van (less than 3yrs old) on stock tires. i went some place that google maps said was 14miles and my odometer said it was 16miles.

I think this is an awesome idea, let's do it!

I say the requirements be this:
1. Show your odometer calibration factor (calculated with either a GPS, highway mileage markers set up for odometer calibration, or by an odometer shop)
2. Show at least 10 consecutive tanks of fuel, with start/stop mileage and fuel quantity

This will rule out odometer miscalculation, miscalculation from under-filling the tank, drunken calculator use, etc.

The 35-mpg should be a long term average IMO, not just something you got from one tank while drafting a truck downhill, topping it off real good before the drive, and not topping the tank off on the refill!

I'm curious to see if any red-blocks manage to make the cut (or any Volvos period). From owning 4 diesel Volvos with different transmissions and gearing, and trying numerous driving techniques I do not believe it is possible for a stock D24 or D24T to get 35+mpg as a long-term average. I even tried always driving 50-mph on the freeway in overdrive, with an M46+ D24 245, and still couldn't do 35-mpg for several consecutive tanks....

35mpg as a long-term average is much more difficult than it seems. I wouldn't be surprised if 90% or more of the reported 35mpg+ Volvos are the result of some sort of calculation error, rather than actual impressive fuel economy.

I'm going to use my GPS to measure my fuel economy; at the moment I'm using the on board computer, but as I know at an indicated 76mph the GPS says 69mph or so... so when mine is showing 35mpg on the computer I know that it is out a bit; I've just got to work out the best way to do it (this weekend's challenge on a trip from Blackpool to Aberystwyth and back) to get the best out of the economy, and at what speed.

Need to fill up at the same filling station, and ideally on the same pump as the stop switch will be caliberated at the same point then, to the 1st stop click on the pump.

I'll also let you know what the economy is over the 2500 mile trip to Vallon Pont D'arc and back, with 2 kayaks on the roof for 1900miles+ of that; most of it is on motorway and autoroute so it should be reasonable.

Ageed,I think 35 in a DD is going to be a loneley club unless someone is a traveling salesman.
Another factor is ethanol.
I got 32 mpg from Brookings to Santa Rosa on 101 in the 86-245/M-46.
Nothing special,legal speeds climbing 5 mph under the limit,
and 30 on Interstate 5 @ 70 in a 73 145 E.
[With Non Ethanol Oregon gas]
[US GAL]

35 mpg U.S. is equal to 42 mpg Imperial.
35 mpg Imperial is equal to 29.15 mpg U.S.

We need to convince Mobil to bring back the
Mobil Economy Run. 1964 Buick commercial crowing about their wins in class.

Back in the mid sixties, my local SCCA chapter staged a yearly "Economy Run". It was sponsored by the local Austin Healy dealer who would always win it with a brand new Sprite and he'd brag about it in his newspaper ads. In '66 or '67, I had a new Opel Kadett and I kicked his butt. Prices for parts for my old MGA went through the roof. The guy just couldn't take a joke.

The Opel got over 52 mpg. with graphite in the wheel bearings, the accelerator pump on the carb disabled and 60 lbs of air in the tires.

244 is tuned for ecodiesel status as i write this, no black smoke, lots of turbo MPG. ;-)

drove it this weekend for 200+ miles on less than 5 gallons of fuel.

yes, the idea behind gas receipts and a planned trip (map) is to alleviate the problem of odometer inaccuracies and tire circumferences being different.

Sweet. Our goal should be to beat 35mpg by the widest margin possible. It'll make an interesting challenge for our camping trip in June. We managed 32mpg on our last drive up to Sacramento in Lizadactyl's 855 5 speed, so 35 isn't too far off but it will require some modification.

Last edited:
Back