• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 940 16 Valve, finally turbo'd!

940 16 valve

So I suppose now that I've got the car running, I'll cross post my thread that I originally had on the Calgary Volvo club website.

Been wanting to turbo it for about 6 years now, and have been saving up parts since. I've decided to pull the trigger and just turbo the stock b234 in my 940, see how it goes, and either keep on with that for a while, or if I run into any problems, I have a low-ish mileage 90' b230f on an engine stand, and some brand new b230ft pistons with valve reliefs waiting.
A little history on the car... It's a 1991 940 gle. I remember going to the dealership with my dad when I was about 4 to pick this car up. There's a lot of memories in it, and it's been my baby for the last 7 years that I've owned it. I always loved it though..I was the one that talked my dad out of trading it in when they bought a second car when I was 14! Thank god I did that.
A few years back the auto tranny went, so it got swapped over to a m46 (thank to Rojer for his help there). About a year later I was tired of always filling up the leaky m46, and it didn't shift very nicely, so I did a ford t5 swap. (thanks to Dale and matt for the kit, and the guidance). Also did wilwoods in the front, pretty sure that was prior to the t5 swap.
So the plan of action now:
-stock b234, ~350k kms.
-15g turbo
-90+ manifold with yoshifab adaptor
-sealed power valve springs
-fred's 16 valve chips
-Possibly install the saab apc I found a few weeks ago if all goes well.

I figure I may as well turbo this old engine that doesn't owe me anything, and any lessons I have to learn, can be learnt on an engine that is basically expendable. If it runs well, I'll have some fun with it, if something goes wrong, I'll take it as a sign that it's time to do it with proper low compression pistons, and possibly megasquirt.

I installed a 92+ intercooler that I had a few weeks ago. Pictures are here:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=239793

Step 1: Me and my buddies pulled the head to drill out some broken exhaust studs (probably going to get helicoiled), and to put a new headgasket in for posterity's sake (I'm sure it's about due to go at 350K). While I'm in there, I'll be putting in new valvesprings. As it sits now, the head is at the machine shop getting hot tanked and skimmed. In the meantime I'm going to be doing odds and ends getting everything ready for when the head comes back Monday/Tuesday.
Ia9aXLeh.jpg

Keeping all the valves/buckets/seats sorted. I figured the trunk was a safe place for them...
Ju98nDch.jpg

Boxes of parts removed/turbo parts (manifold/intercooler pipes/oil cooler stuff)
wvuTaOqh.jpg

And the best part, 15g with new oil seals, chips, valvesprings, and exhaust adaptor!
BJDQLuuh.jpg

Well started up the car today. No leaks or anything which is great! No exhaust hooked up yet, just the downpipe, so it's insanely loud! turbo's attached, but I don't have it hooked up to the intercooler yet. Hopefully have the exhaust and intercooler plumbed in in the next few days, and I can take it for a spin!

Basically what's happened in the last couple of weeks.
-Head hot-tanked, sealed power valvesprings installed, new valve stem seals, and headgasket.
-Battery relocated to passenger side to make room for air filter (and fixed the rust that was under the battery)
-turbo installed, oil feed and drain plumbed in
-turbo chips installed
-new oil pump gear, timing belt, and newer waterpump (had a spare low mileage one)

I highly recommend getting the updated oil pump gear for any b234 owners. Under $80, and it beefier. My old one fell apart when I took it off to inspect it. I also recommend using the old timing belt to hold the pulley, rather than the allen key method posted online. I have my suspicions that that didn't help the old gear out any. Anyways, here's a comparison showing how much beefier the new one is (you can see the extra meat around the bolt hole)
p3iCzyUh.jpg

The carnage
Kytw2rPh.jpg

Threw the chips in!
2eA4vP2h.jpg

Lookin good!
OFlIy5Kh.jpg

A fair bit of progess has been made since that last photo. I'll post up some more recent pics in a bit.

Last edited:
Looks like a nice build! I'm going to tell you right now, that 15g is going to be too small. Might consider making it a 19t.

Basically the 15g is going to run out of steam really fast.

Other than that, looks like a nice build!

Build looks good...Ill agree on the Turbo. I had a Evo3 16g on mine at first. Way restrictive and EGT went through the roof. Any throttle input at cruise results in boost. I like running a larger turbo, keeps fuel mileage in check!

Hahaha, lots of Bigger turbo comments, good ol' turbobricks. Appreciate the replies and comments guys. I would of course like a bigger turbo at some point, but one thing at a time right? I didn't realize how easy it would get into boost though, like you say Nathan (and thanks again for the fuel rail ;), I was on the highway, and it goes into boost if you even think about touching the gas. Never gone up hills so effortlessly though!
So a little update.
Haven't driven the car in about a week and a half. It was guzzling gas like crazy, I'm assuming due to me having the smaller injectors, with the fuel pressure turned up to compensate, which probably made them leak (hopefully that theory is correct, and it's not something else). Got some 50lb/hr ones on the way, just been waiting on them. Plugs definitely suggest the car was running wayyy rich, got some replacements ready to go in too.
So since I can't have any turbo fun, I've been taking advantage of the downtime to get some less essential/fun projects done.

First, I was walking through the junkyard a couple of weeks ago, and happened to notice an 850....R! I had always wanted the R seats, but figured chances were slim I would ever find some. It was 1/3 off day too, score!

Putting manual rails on them, I bet the three motors in the lower part weigh over 10lbs. Kept the power back adjustment though.
nuO1AO4h.jpg

Installed
SLcORk7h.jpg

I also always wanted somewhere less conspicuous for my radar detector, and had had this project in the back of my mind for a while.
7AwNE49h.jpg

Aaaand the car sitting waiting for the injectors...
[img]

Last edited:
The bad MPG might actually have to do with that turbo size to be honest, when chris stuck a 15g back on from the 19t his MPG went down around 5 iirc. He put an ebay turbo on and now gets close to 30.

Basically the 15g is so small it's always spooled so if you step on the gas just a little bit it hits boost. The injectors prolly aren't helping much either.

Looks good!

The bad MPG might actually have to do with that turbo size to be honest, when chris stuck a 15g back on from the 19t his MPG went down around 5 iirc. He put an ebay turbo on and now gets close to 30.

Basically the 15g is so small it's always spooled so if you step on the gas just a little bit it hits boost. The injectors prolly aren't helping much either.

Looks good!

So a little update. Finally got some new injectors, s60R injectors aka "green giants." 40lb/hr which is what fred's chips called for. seems to run pretty well now when driving, just doesn't idle very well which has me confused. when I first got the turbo all hooked I started it with the stock b234 computers, and it idled great, threw in the chips and now it has a hunting idle, and it sounds a bit like it's misfiring at idle! Also sometimes bucks a little bit when you just bareeely have your foot on the throttle.
Hoping a few days of driving and the chips will adapt. My earlier theory was that it was running rich, but the proper injectors should have fixed it....
Just waiting for some free time to install the wideband and apc, and then it's time to go have some fun...hopefully

Dude, bring it out for a spin this weekend! Check the CVC- Ahmad and I want to get out for sure and you need some miles on those chips!

Would looove to, but I only have one day off, and with recent developments it's looking unlikely. Raincheck?So it started leaking oil pretty good today, noticed a decent sized puddle that appears to be coming from the bellhousing. Did the rear main about 3 years ago, so I'm thinking maybe my pcv box needs replaced. Well that should keep me busy!
While I was under there I hooked up my wideband to get a definitive answer to why it's not running great. So it idles around 10:1! Rev it up and it still stays around 10:1. Tried turning the fuel pressure down, as low as the regulator allows, got it to 10.6:1 at best. Crap. The oxygen sensor for the ecu was all covered in soot when I pulled it to check it. Anybody heard of "fouling" an O2 by running too rich? Anyhoo, looks like I know what the issue is. I guess first step is to try a good O2 sensor and see what happens. Any input on the problem guys?
P.S. FPR is on the strut tower, the hood didn't close with it on the rail. I'll snap a pic on the weekend.

P.S. FPR is on the strut tower, the hood didn't close with it on the rail. I'll snap a pic on the weekend.

That would be awesome :) What rail you use ? Nathans?#

/regarding you Problem...

i dont know what the problem is.. normally it should idle like crap but on the leanside cause LH tries to find the right sparkangle..

tried one of stonis 012AMM chips 3 days ago.. idled like crap for a few minutes.. sinus between 18.5 and 21~(maxscala) and then it came instanly and now idles @ constandtly 14.7 like a boss :D the first tries it went off about 25 times...

Try to disconnect the Battery again and let LH try to start from scratch try with 3bar pressure @ first... FPR should be linear so 3bar basic +- intake pressure.. pressure while idling should be 2.4 bar... depends on cam..

Last edited:
So as they say, 2 steps forward, 1 step back.
Figured out the running rich problem it looks like
CIMG0134.jpg

So turns out it was my fault :oops: I guess when I pulled the O2 sensor to put it in the downpipe, I slightly crushed it (hard to see in the crappy cell phone shot). I'm guessing that was the issue. Seems to idle wayyyy better now, doesn't sound like it's misfiring, so let's hope this tank of gas lasts a Lot longer. Still wants to stall about 1 time in 10, but I'm thinking I just need to readjust the throttlebody.
So problem solved by soldering in a ford connector, so I can use a mustang O2 sensor (at 1/3 the cost!)
CIMG0135.jpg

Might see about using the narrowband out on my wideband, but I figure one thing at a time.
So that was 2 steps forward....but then. Took it out for a spin to confirm it was running well, and my oil dipstick had shot out! Realized I still had the flame trap in there, and it looked naaasty when I took it out. So it's reassembled without the flame trap now, and seems ok. Fingers crossed that I didn't blow the rear main out, but I have a feeling I'll be pulling the tranny at some point.
I guess now I just need to write a final exam, and then I'll have some time for the wideband and APC/knocklight install, and then I won't have to hold back anymore!
Oh and crappy pic of FPR as requested..
CIMG0136.jpg

that's one of Nathan's rails. Very nice piece.
so an update on my progress. Wrote a final a few days ago, so I've finally had some time to get my wideband wired through the firewall so I can actually use it! Only thing is I'm just more confused now... The idle got way better with the new o2 sensor, but it's still not perfect, and it wants to stall sometimes.
so when I first start the car (it's been around 0C in the mornings) it starts around 11:1, but leans out closer to 14 pretty quick. Runs around 12:1 once I'm in boost (which sounds good to me).
thing bothering me is it goes to stall sometimes when coming down to idle. Goes as lean as 16 or 18:1, then comes back to around stoich(but still doesn't idle very happily). What afr are you guys finding your cars idle at?
It's got me confused how it can run well everywhere but at idle. I'm trying to think of things that I've changed since the turbo, and I'm thinking either it doesn't like my amm extension, or the ecu/chips perhaps.
any thoughts guys?

Back