• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

850 clean pcv system but still crankcase pressure

chriselalto

smart dumbass
So ive noticed a small oil leak the other day on my driveway. i went investigating. only thing i could find with probable cause is excessive crankcase pressure. with the car all warmed up i pulled the dipstick and a steady stream of smoke comes out. the same on the oil cap.

The breather box is new, all hoses cleaned and inspected. connections tight. The flametrap holder is clean and well connected(turbo so no flaptrap).

all was cleaned/replaced when i did the HG job last winter. im a little stumped. I pulled the hose going to the FT holder while it was running and smoke does come out. I did notice that with everything connected and the dipstick pulled, as i revved the engine the amount of smoke is less. IDK why so if someone could explain that would be great.

Today i removed the TB and found the EGR feeder port was 100000% clogged, cleaned that and TB, made a new gasket and reinstalled. started engine and same symptoms.

Did i miss something?

Chris

I thought about it. It has good power and starts like a dime. Ill be doing a comp and breakdown test tomorrow.

I'd also do a leakdown test (those breakdown tests only indicate your level
of FUNK- I - FI - EDNESS...)
cue Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers... :
"Breakdown...go ahead and give it to me.....breakdown -'sall right - 'sall right....":cool:

On the other hand, you can drive 850's in that shape for a quite a while. Drive until she croaks, then swap? It sucks once you've done all the work of a headgasket on a whiteblock, but hopefully you can work it out.

FWIW, I've never encountered a single Joe-schmoe maintained 850 that didn't smoke at the dipstick.

I might just let it go then. Didn't get to harbor freight today to get the tester.

Anybody run a catch can on a whiteblock? I do hate that the inlet side of the turbo is dripping in oil.

I just disconnected one of the pcv case hoses when it wasn't in for inspection. :lol:

May not be such a great idea if you don't like fire, though.

Back