• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Replaced blinker lights and now the car isnt starting?

89_740Turbo

As the title states, I installed a new e code blinker light on my 740. After hooking everything back up, the car wont turn over. Lights work but that's it. I suspect I knocked something loose or the ignition module got loose.

Are there any ideas as to how complicated this might actually be?

I installed a new e code blinker light
Define "installed".

1 - Unplugged old bulb, plugged in new bulb.
2 - Replaced signal housing and socket, spliced into old wiring.
3 - Disconnected battery and a dozen other wires you didn't know where they went but you're pretty sure you put them all back.
4 - Used Sawzall to cut off front half of car, glued on different front half that already had new blinkers installed.

TB coming thru with the pro tech tips. I've never installed those so I don't know whats involved, backtrack and look at what could have been bumped, shorted out, etc. Pretty sure ya weren't near the ignition module since thats mounted on the pedal box, at least it is on my 740, but you probably were near the ecu in the passenger footwell, it would be very hard to knock that connector off though unless you had a hammer in there. What did you hook the lights to? Is it possible you hooked them to the wrong fuse/relay/whatever, or got the wires backwards?

Obviously a blinker fluid line got knocked loose whilst installing bulbs.

You'll figure it out nOOb.

Grounds in vicinity of turn bulbs... Hmmmm

Fuses.... Hmmmm....

Engine wiring harness... Hmmmm....

All I did was twist the bulb housing out of the old ones and then retwist them back into the new ones. My girlfriend was with me when I did it lol that's literally all I did. I'm guessing I had to have knocked something loose during the process or its a ground like John said

I could have switched the wires that attach to the bulb housing by accident. If so that could cause the issue?

And by not turning over I mean I turn the key all the way to the right and the engine wont crank. Just the lights some on. It's so f*ckin odd.

Obviously, start by checking fuses. Starter relay plugged in? Gets power when you turn to start? Also check the starter fluid if you haven't.

Don't confuse something you did with a random failure. Took me awhile to figure out why my speedo broke immediately after I dug around inside my dash, turns out it was the plug on the diff.

Back