• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

CDxxx on Volvo 740 + Infinity G37 driveshaft

poulrais

Anyone thought about modifying an Infinity G37 to put a CD009 in a Volvo 7xx/2xx? I picked up this complete driveshaft with the front slip yoke and I think I'll give it a try. It's a 2 piece but much bigger and a little bit longer than the 960 driveshaft pictured below besides the G37.

I don't remember if the long part from the Volvo's goes in front or in the back though! :oops:

VxkO8Zq.jpg

Anyone thought about modifying an Infinity G37 to put a CD009 in a Volvo 7xx/2xx? I picked up this complete driveshaft with the front slip yoke and I think I'll give it a try. It's a 2 piece but much bigger and a little bit longer than the 960 driveshaft pictured below besides the G37.

I don't remember if the long part from the Volvo's goes in front or in the back though! :oops:

VxkO8Zq.jpg

The long part goes at the back, the short part with the bearing goes at the front.

Why not just have a driveshaft shop cut the volvo front shaft to the right length? Was really cheap, 85 USD. He even pressed on the new carrier bearing for me.

Probably more depends on what sort of tires you put back there. Too much HP through 'normal' tires (size and composition) and the excess HP just turns into smoke. If you put something really sticky and wide back there, you'll need to worry about the rear suspension and differential as well as the driveshaft.

Probably more depends on what sort of tires you put back there. Too much HP through 'normal' tires (size and composition) and the excess HP just turns into smoke. If you put something really sticky and wide back there, you'll need to worry about the rear suspension and differential as well as the driveshaft.

I will probably end up with 285's in the back...

I was planning on (initially) just having my 1-pc T5 driveshaft modified for the CD009. If/when I go to the Ford 8.8 in the rear I was planning on having a custom 2-pc made.

I was planning on (initially) just having my 1-pc T5 driveshaft modified for the CD009. If/when I go to the Ford 8.8 in the rear I was planning on having a custom 2-pc made.

I want this to be a lapping track car and not a drag race car. So an IRS rear end would be nice to have imo.

One thing I remember now, the Nissan drive shaft is designed to stretch at the connection of the driveshaft to the transmission, while the Volvo has the stretch point in the middle. For the 7xx the shifter needs to be at the tail of the transmission, right about where the front yoke will be. It is very tight in there, and early shifter designs were hitting the yoke under downshifts into 2nd/4th. The connection point from the shifter to the shift rod on the transmission had to be changed, and the front half of the drive shaft needed to be modified to not move as much.

Even if you go with an IRS, I think you still need some stretch in the drive line. Just plan your shifter so that it doesn't hit the yoke at full stretch. The Nissan transmission is a little shorter than an M46, so the extra length might be good.

If I knew how to post pictures, I could show you the M46/CD009 side by side as well as where the shifter ends up on the 745.

One thing I remember now, the Nissan drive shaft is designed to stretch at the connection of the driveshaft to the transmission, while the Volvo has the stretch point in the middle. For the 7xx the shifter needs to be at the tail of the transmission, right about where the front yoke will be. It is very tight in there, and early shifter designs were hitting the yoke under downshifts into 2nd/4th. The connection point from the shifter to the shift rod on the transmission had to be changed, and the front half of the drive shaft needed to be modified to not move as much.

Even if you go with an IRS, I think you still need some stretch in the drive line. Just plan your shifter so that it doesn't hit the yoke at full stretch. The Nissan transmission is a little shorter than an M46, so the extra length might be good.

If I knew how to post pictures, I could show you the M46/CD009 side by side as well as where the shifter ends up on the 745.

I have the CD009 in my garage as well as a Serial Nine shifter relocator and the Infinity G37 driveshaft. I'll check for clearances over the weekend and will report back.

I found a complete S14 rear diff setup with the subframe/axles and brakes for $500 CAD. I think I'm going to buy it.

I love what you're thinking here. I've been looking around for the driveshaft lengths to see if it's a possibility. I'm dealing into a 760 with IRS, so no issue with not having a slip yoke. Have you measured the overall length from the front of the cd009 to the end of the driveshaft mounting flange? Is it close to what we need?

Back