• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

ford 460 marine motor into a 74 145

big block volvo

• Total voters
The room in a 140 is just shaped differently than the room in a 240. The 240 is a bit narrower up top because of the shock towers, but whatever room it has is pretty nice and 'square', going down to the frame rails. The 140 inner fenders come in a lot more down low, but there's a bit more width up high. If that's any help with a big V8, I don't know. Maybe if the headers go up and back instead of down and back?

Measure motor / measure car. repeat, see if it fits, What radiator will you run? what trans? if any kind of sticky tires on back, then what driveshaft? What springs? Is the front suspension in good shape? Sure it can be done, but when it is done, will you enjoy it more than a few minutes?
If you can do the work, get started

I don't want to crap on your project because hey, who am I to tell you what to do? HOWEVER, one of the nice aspects of these cars is a fundamentally good handling characteristic that throwing 400+ lbs over stock in the nose of is going to absolutely ruin. Additionally, the cost/benefit analysis of a Ford 460 with regard to specific power output, size, weight, and financial outlay pretty much stinks. I looked into these engines yesterday and it takes a set of Edelbrock heads just to get to the 500hp level, which you can get out of an iron block 6.0 just by stabbing a cam in it (Almost. That is a stretch, but not by much). Though you have the 460, you would still need to do a transmission (probably the world's crappiest automatic, the C6) and a rear diff. My honest suggestion would be to sell this engine and get yourself a mild 302 Ford (or turbocharge the B23*) or if you're in the mood for 5-600 hp, do an LS. Both swaps have been done, have supporting parts available, and resources that you can lean on if you get stuck. If you're a skilled fabricator looking for a project that you're thinking is cool and you WANT to do the 460, do it. It's YOUR car, and that should be your focus. Otherwise, and I hate saying it, make space for something that may never be complete enough to turn a wheel and that you'll take a bath on parting out when you finally give up.

It's a tig old biddy.

attachment.php

Yikes. That's a lot of cast iron.

An aluminum LS weighs less than the lightest weight on that list. And if you get a 5.3 they don't even cost a ridiculous amount of money.

Yikes. That's a lot of cast iron.

An aluminum LS weighs less than the lightest weight on that list. And if you get a 5.3 they don't even cost a ridiculous amount of money.

:nod:

Would make a good anchorage chained up and stuck in the mud.

Right up there with a half train axle.

They are so heavy my front loader tractor cannot pick them up. It would be a ridiculous motor to stick in any Volvo body. Not only that, they are huge. You probably could not close the hood. A GM 5.3 with the mildest of mods would spank you and the car would still handle decent.

700 lbs? Might as well stick a 6BT in there and roll coal @75 psi of boost. They get barn-sized trucks to run 11's, imagine what it could do in a 140. Besides twist the frame.

Back