• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

89 Volvo LM7 engine swap Drift Project

SR20DET is probably a similar price to get hold of in this country as a redblock in the same sort of condition, and so considering that a whiteblock isn't a simple drop-in the SR20DET is probably going to be cheaper than a whiteblock. And then you've got all the aftermarket that doesn't exist for anything with a Volvo badge on it.

The only reason not to do it is to be obtuse, really; that's the main reason I don't have an SR20DET in my 242.

I guess I just would rather put my work and time into engine building than making brackets and doing a crapton of rewiring. A redblock with B234 heads isn't hard to build and is capable of much more power than an SR20. However, as I said, different strokes for different folks. Props to anyone who actually does what they are talking about instead of talking on the internet about it. I suppose I just feel, when it comes down to it, there are few advantages to building a Volvo 240 over other similar RWD cars. However, the one advantage we do have is the strongest 4 cylinder engine ever put in a production car (with maybe the exception of the BMW M10/S14...not sure who would win that one). So, when I see someone rip the engine out and swap it for something else, I just wonder why they didn't start with a better platform. The assumption then is that they just want to be different, which is cool...but why not go all Volvo then. I think I will stop talking now, as its late and I am rambling everything that comes to my head.

Engine Mounts and crossmember officially done.

n619590026_2564400_8604.jpg

n619590026_2564401_8950.jpg

Finished motor mount, there is some triangulation on the back of the mount now.

n619590026_2564402_9302.jpg

Fluke shifter alignment, 1st 3rd 5th barely touch the edge :)

n619590026_2564399_8258.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I just would rather put my work and time into engine building than making brackets and doing a crapton of rewiring. A redblock with B234 heads isn't hard to build and is capable of much more power than an SR20. However, as I said, different strokes for different folks. Props to anyone who actually does what they are talking about instead of talking on the internet about it. I suppose I just feel, when it comes down to it, there are few advantages to building a Volvo 240 over other similar RWD cars. However, the one advantage we do have is the strongest 4 cylinder engine ever put in a production car (with maybe the exception of the BMW M10/S14...not sure who would win that one). So, when I see someone rip the engine out and swap it for something else, I just wonder why they didn't start with a better platform. The assumption then is that they just want to be different, which is cool...but why not go all Volvo then. I think I will stop talking now, as its late and I am rambling everything that comes to my head.

I may potentially hit stuff when trying to learn to drift, thatswhy I have a Volvo. Also, it just kinda rolled into what its become, sorta, spur of the moment. Next year may involve a different platform, plus the price of this engine was only about $500 more then +t and a m47 swap and a hell of alot more durable tranny wise. Plus now I can hang out with the cool kids in both the nissan and volvo groups:-P

I tend to agree with Forg, but we are probably bias coming from a sr dominated community. Over here an sr is easy to get, they get dropped into just about anything rwd.. actually fwds too...

SR 500 hp is a few grand of parts off the shelf. 500 hp 16v redblock is time and engineering.

What? Who? Where?
In what reality?
Even the megabuck Swedish builds you see are only around the 650hp mark, and that's barely a "B230" any more.

Megabuck Swedish builds are way over 1000 HP... Making 500 HP on a redblock with a B234 head isn't particularly hard either. Hell, stock internal'd redblocks (FT internals, mind you) have made over 600 HP with B234 heads. Seems the average 16V build that has some money put into it and a good turbo/manifold combination makes 850.

Last edited:
I'll believe that hasn't been doubled for effect by the dyno operator when I see it ... sorry, but it's a little hard to accept that.

What's so hard to accept that a large 4 cylinder with an outrageously strong bottom end and some of the best flowing 4 cylinder heads ever put on any engine can't make more power than your average built 4g63?

What's so hard to accept that a large 4 cylinder with an outrageously strong bottom end and some of the best flowing 4 cylinder heads ever put on any engine can't make more power than your average built 4g63?
The DOHC heads don't flow that well standard, and the bottom-end design is from 1975 ... I accept it can be done, but I don't accept it can be done easily or cheaply - hence I don't believe it's actually common to have a daily-driveable redblock-powered car with that level of power.

I've just been working on little things, hoses, fuel lines etc. Installed a walbro in the tank and ran new feed line, very close to startup. maybe tommorrow :)

Dodge SRT-4 intercooler

n619590026_2588604_7155002.jpg

It runs now, my friend took a phone video, but hes taking his time sending it too me. :roll:

Made a gauge panel tonight, just need to wire them and get the driveshaft in to be modified. I'll have to take a pic of all the nissan switches and gauge cluster adapted to the volvo, kinda rough around the edges, but it will all work and hopefully be reliable:cool:

So close to being mobile.

Just a d-shaft and power steering lines before it should move under its own power:-P

Back