• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ebay Alternators?

Svenska_Monokrom

Professional Lowballer
Hey guys, So ive been in the market for a decent alternator upgrade/replacement and came across this interesting ad on ebay for a 140 amp (Bosch?) alternator for late model 240's but were unsure if something like this ever actually existed. It does say it is remanufactured so id guess that means it had to exist from the factory at some point but that leads us to question the legitemacy of these ads in general.

If these ads are legit, thats a pretty good deal for a decent alternator but $175 seems a bit iffy for a alternator that claims its 140/160 amp but happens to look like the big 80 amp alternator that at least my 1986 245 came with.

I guess I can say im inexperienced when it comes to these alternators and im hoping someone can shed alittle light on this.

ps not sure if this is considered performance/modification or maintenence/non-performance.

140 Amp
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Alternator-240-760-High-140-Amp-1985-1993-Generator-HD-High-Amp/283263459667?fits=Model%3A240%7CMake%3AVolvo&hash=item41f3d16153:g:eek:CkAAOSwgo1Zsr5y:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateBox!94621!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

160 Amp
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Alternator-240-760-High-160-Amp-1985-1993-Generator/253724668117?fits=Model%3A240%7CMake%3AVolvo&hash=item3b132b30d5:g:u9IAAOSw~gxZsr57:sc:USPSPriority!94621!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

Were assuming these ad's are misleading or we're missing something but just curious what you guys think.

the brand is bosch / bne and it states OE spec... so it's a bosch case and probably their internals. That's not to say it's no good. Most aftermarket alternators are very hit or miss. Find out whether the company BNE (bacon n eggs) is trustworthy and work from there.

FWIW bosch makes a 90? amp alternator (I think that's the highest I've seen) if you want OEM stuff. What are you even gonna do with 160 amps? Do you have a welder in the back?

the brand is bosch / bne and it states OE spec... so it's a bosch case and probably their internals. That's not to say it's no good. Most aftermarket alternators are very hit or miss. Find out whether the company BNE (bacon n eggs) is trustworthy and work from there.

FWIW bosch makes a 90? amp alternator (I think that's the highest I've seen) if you want OEM stuff. What are you even gonna do with 160 amps? Do you have a welder in the back?

:lol: Yeah not necessarily a welder, but my 240s found a way to kill 4 or 5 alternators now all in the 100amp range because of my efan that finds the need to be on 24/7 and a bunch of extra lights. Given theyre all pick n pull alternators, im just trying too look for something that might last me longer than 2 months.

Ive tried both bosch and denso 100amps.
Honestly, my cars just possessed :lol:

:lol: Yeah not necessarily a welder, but my 240s found a way to kill 4 or 5 alternators now all in the 100amp range because of my efan that finds the need to be on 24/7 and a bunch of extra lights. Given theyre all pick n pull alternators, im just trying too look for something that might last me longer than 2 months.

Ive tried both bosch and denso 100amps.
Honestly, my cars just possessed :lol:

If that's the case, your alt is probably not the root cause of your problem.... Might just be throwing money away by buying more alternators...

I know somethings wrong, weve kinda been assuming that the efan running all the time is a big part of our issue. This all started when we began trying to develop a smarter controller for the fan but the problem is that its just taking a while. But within that time weve killed those bunch of alternators, all lasting about 2 months except for one.

One alternator we tried (a denso 100amp) worked perfectly fine because we had a prototype controller in that actually worked somewhat properly. That alternator lasted 5 months right up until now when our prototype controller failed.

This car came with alot of electric issue so Im not ignoring that it could easily be something else instead or in combination.

Why efan? Change it back to stock and recover at least 60 amps useful for lights, stereo. Enjoy steady cooling air over the engine and radiator without any maintenance needed.

I have the Paul Grimshaw book that is probably 20 years old now trying to help with information. lol.

You must admit while an efan is more than $14.99TB?heap™ it's cheaper than installing a cam or doing other modifications that will make a quantitative difference in performance?

You must admit while an efan is more than $14.99TB?heap™ it's cheaper than installing a cam or doing other modifications that will make a quantitative difference in performance?

Yes, I know I am sharing secret information. However, this is why I put a version of the enem V15 in both of my signature cars but kept the mechanical fan. I don't hate efans. I just don't see the need on these cars when you can put a cam in and improve the exhaust and have more smiles per mile for not that much more money and effort than an efan.

Last edited:
I know somethings wrong, weve kinda been assuming that the efan running all the time is a big part of our issue.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...6iklmKuzQD-xL6GkHGpIcKwDhPj6oyCkaAjNYEALw_wcB

Get one

hda-3653_w.jpg

Fan won't be killing your alternator.

First you need to work out what failed in the old ones. Main rectifier? Field rectifier? Brushes? Commutator? Do you still have the alternator warning bulb in your dash? Does it come on before you start the motor?

Also, worth knowing that alternator output current is rated at 6000rpm (alternator speed, not engine speed). Idle current rating varies, but obviously always lower.

Why efan? Change it back to stock and recover at least 60 amps useful for lights, stereo. Enjoy steady cooling air over the engine and radiator without any maintenance needed.

Ive considered trying to do mech fan instead of a efan, the efan was just kinda a package deal with the b230ft i got swapped into my 2. From what my friend told me, id need to find a 240 turbo/intercooler to get the mechanical fan shroud and then I have a bunch of mech fans just laying around.

That may be an option. The prototyping of our controller is because its not really just a controller. Its a arduino based system that displays all the car info on a little screen that would be installed in place of the stock temp and gas gauge on the cluster. Itd basically display engine temp, voltage, gas level, when the efan turns on (Incl. high speed, low speed, and idle).

A bit overcomplicated but it can be cool, also the main reason our controller is taking so long.

This might be a temporary fix at least until we finish on that project.

Back