• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW70 Torque converter removal

Drunk_Babies

I'm stuck on these four flex plate - torque converter bolts. I have a 24mm sock and a a breaker bar on the frame so the flex plate is locked right but these still won't budge. Any tips? Would a 12 point box end wrench work better than 6 point?

Ideally a 6 point offset box wrench would work the best. The 12 point offset box wrenches are a lot more common and can be bought almost anywhere.

Dumb advice, but triple check and make sure you're forcing them the correct way. Years ago i accidentally tightened and snapped a TC bolt because I was on the back side of it and thought I was loosening it. I just took mine off of my aw70 about 4 days ago. They should not be on too tight. I think they get torqued at the factory to 30-40 ft lbs. I actually didn't even have to counter hold my crank, the force of cylinder compression was enough for me to get them loose with a box end and rubber mallet to jolt them loose. 16mm heads if I remember correctly, 5/8" wrench will also fit.

Dumb advice, but triple check and make sure you're forcing them the correct way. Years ago i accidentally tightened and snapped a TC bolt because I was on the back side of it and thought I was loosening it. I just took mine off of my aw70 about 4 days ago. They should not be on too tight. I think they get torqued at the factory to 30-40 ft lbs. I actually didn't even have to counter hold my crank, the force of cylinder compression was enough for me to get them loose with a box end and rubber mallet to jolt them loose. 16mm heads if I remember correctly, 5/8" wrench will also fit.

That's what I thought! There's something weird going on here..I was able to get an impact on and sat hammering it for 15 seconds, reversed clockwise for a second. Did that probably 10 times, still doesn't budge. I've locked the crank, put a wrench on and hit it with a hammer.

I got one off early this morning somehow but the other three refuse to budge. I've heat cycled them four times already today. Not sure what else to try.

Is it possible to remove the bellhousing and transmission without the torque converter? Might give me some more room..

Redneck Impact Wrench- whack the end of the wrench with a hammer to break them loose. If you try to just strong arm them they usually strip out. Offset wrench makes it easier, but it can be done with a normal box wrench if you're careful.

That's what I thought! There's something weird going on here..I was able to get an impact on and sat hammering it for 15 seconds, reversed clockwise for a second. Did that probably 10 times, still doesn't budge. I've locked the crank, put a wrench on and hit it with a hammer.

I got one off early this morning somehow but the other three refuse to budge. I've heat cycled them four times already today. Not sure what else to try.

Is it possible to remove the bellhousing and transmission without the torque converter? Might give me some more room..

I wonder if some joker put red loctite on them at some point? Perhaps a torch sesh is in order?

16mm short 6 point socket on a 3/8” drive breaker bar. The socket sits against the pan edge. You don’t even need to lock the crank. There is barely enough room to do this. You just have to try it and you’ll find out it is the way to do it. They always break loose.

The remaining two bolt heads are getting rounded off, I'm just going to cut this mother****er off :)

Use a large chisel and hammer to loosen the bolts. The bolt heads will be ruined but at least you'll be able to get them off. I had to do this just last week. When one of the bolt heads rounded off.

phYheC8.jpg

:):):)

16mm short 6 point socket on a 3/8? drive breaker bar. The socket sits against the pan edge. You don?t even need to lock the crank. There is barely enough room to do this. You just have to try it and you?ll find out it is the way to do it. They always break loose.

My technique, but Roy has done it lots more.

Redneck Impact Wrench- whack the end of the wrench with a hammer to break them loose. If you try to just strong arm them they usually strip out. Offset wrench makes it easier, but it can be done with a normal box wrench if you're careful.

+1. It took an offset box end wrench hit on the end with a rubber mallet to get the bolts loose. Usually once I could break them past tight they almost spun themselves out.

16mm short 6 point socket on a 3/8? drive breaker bar. The socket sits against the pan edge. You don?t even need to lock the crank. There is barely enough room to do this. You just have to try it and you?ll find out it is the way to do it. They always break loose.

Semi-unrelated, but I bought me a 3/8 breaker from Horror Fraught recently and it has quickly become a favorite. That and my M12 Power Ratchet is a hell of a combo.

Back