• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 1982 245 Fuel Pump Issue

nuclearj

Hello All, last night, after a minor traffic stop, I heard a loud, high pitched buzzing coming from my fuel pump. The car sputtered and died when I tried to accelerate. Eventually the buzzing stopped and I made it home. Needless to say, I need a new fuel pump. Which one should I replace? Or should I replace both of them? How difficult would it be for a beginner mechanic?

The pressure pump is easier to replace and the most likely causing noise. But with that said a failing lift pump can cause the pressure pump to make noise. A full tank of fuel will overcome the need for the lift pump. If you still have the noise with a full tank then it is certainly the pressure pump.

CI Fuel Injection System 82 Model 240.
B21F engine w/Jetronic fuel injection or B23E engine w/CI fuel injection

First check Fuse #7 (...counting down from the top) for corrosion.
Clean or replace as necessary.
Also check Fuse #5.

At the fuse panel, connect a jumper wire between fuse #5 and fuse #7
Both fuel pumps should run as long as this jumper is connected.

Remove the gas fill cap and stick a short piece of hose down into the hole.
You can also use a long neck funnel if you have one.

Place the end of the hose to your ear and listen for the sound of the in-tank pump running (buzzing).

If you hear the tank pump running, odds are that the pump is OK.
If the tank pump is not running, you've most likely found your problem.
Check that Fuse #5 is good and is making good contact.

Next lay on your back and listen for the main fuel pump.
It will be just in front of the left rear wheel, toward the center of the car.
If the main pump is running, it's most likely not causing your problem.
If it is not running, you most likely have a defective main pump or faulty electrical connection to the pump.

Another thing that can cause low fuel feed pressure to the main pump and starve it for fuel....
The tank sender assembly could have a crack in the rubber hose that connects the pump to the metal tubing inside the fuel tank.
If both pumps are running and your problem still exists.....engine stalling on low fuel in tank, or cutting out when you turn a sharp corner....... this hose may have a leak.

Just a few things to check
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Back