• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvobrage's widened 242

Lol, I was thinking a little less. Atleast in some spots, it looks like the cleaning action extends out pretty far from the bead, especially on what looks to be non cast alum.

But I didn't go to school for welding, and his beads look better than mine easily haha, as do yours homer.

:lol:

Looks like he needs a bit more cleaning action
Hmmm, homer what you mean?I need to grind more before the welding?As I said before, my english sucks:roll:
I normally dont grind so much on nice alu like that..Grind the edges all the way around mayby 5mm out and then i clean it with "red boose"

Lol, I was thinking a little less. Atleast in some spots, it looks like the cleaning action extends out pretty far from the bead, especially on what looks to be non cast alum.

But I didn't go to school for welding, and his beads look better than mine easily haha, as do yours homer.

:lol:
You mean the welding is to wide?Or that the metal is not clean enough?

Last edited:
Well, when TIG welding, you are using an AC power source. The properties of the AC wave actually can clean the aluminum depending on how you have the AC balance set. (On my Miller, 3 is balanced.) But with the AC balance, you can adjust the amount of penetration vs amount of cleaning action needed. (More cleaning action for aluminum that is dirty, like cast aluminum tends to be)

There depending on the aluminum, you don't need as much cleaning action, which is indicated by the white border on the weld bead.

Doesn't mean anything is wrong, just think you probably don't need much cleaning on that aluminum.

Well, when TIG welding, you are using an AC power source. The properties of the AC wave actually can clean the aluminum depending on how you have the AC balance set. (On my Miller, 3 is balanced.) But with the AC balance, you can adjust the amount of penetration vs amount of cleaning action needed. (More cleaning action for aluminum that is dirty, like cast aluminum tends to be)

There depending on the aluminum, you don't need as much cleaning action, which is indicated by the white border on the weld bead.

Doesn't mean anything is wrong, just think you probably don't need much cleaning on that aluminum.

Aaaah I see:)I think i understand:)

But the bigger the white line is the more dirty is the aluminium?Or does it mean that the welding machine has godd properties on the AC wave?

You are getting it, essentially. But you can change the size of the white border around the bead by using AC balance. So if you have really dirty alum, your white border will be larger with more cleaning action. But on clean alum, you would have a smaller white border.

I looked up your machine,

2mmalloysettingsss.jpg

You don't have an AC balance knob, so that may be the reason why. But you do have SP % which seems to control the balance of the AC Sine wave.

Check out this link,
http://www.goodsdirect.net/200adc.htm

SP% Dial
is the length of welding time versus cleaning time, set to max cleaning at 30% welding time and 70% cleaning,

So, if you have that knob set higher (like 70%) you will have a bigger white border, good for dirty aluminum. But for clean metal you can probably bring it down a little bit more and reduce the size of the white border on the bead.

You are getting it, essentially. But you can change the size of the white border around the bead by using AC balance. So if you have really dirty alum, your white border will be larger with more cleaning action. But on clean alum, you would have a smaller white border.

I looked up your machine,

2mmalloysettingsss.jpg

You don't have an AC balance knob, so that may be the reason why. But you do have SP % which seems to control the balance of the AC Sine wave.

Check out this link,
http://www.goodsdirect.net/200adc.htm

So, if you have that knob set higher (like 70%) you will have a bigger white border, good for dirty aluminum. But for clean metal you can probably bring it down a little bit more and reduce the size of the white border on the bead.

Thank you for the good explanation!I learned alot from this:)Will try to adjust next time I weld alu and see how it goes:)

Started on a rotation device for the body:)Only pictures this time

DSC02352.jpg

DSC02354.jpg

DSC02356.jpg

DSC02360.jpg

DSC02362.jpg

DSC02361.jpg

Welds look great. Very consistent!
I'd love to have a MIG around.

I'll be measuring that engine mount this weekend I think.

Welds look great. Very consistent!
I'd love to have a MIG around.

I'll be measuring that engine mount this weekend I think.

Thanks Homer!:)Its nice to hear that:)I put alot of time into try making good weldings..

That would be great!Then the engine would be in the car soon;-)

So, now we soon start on the widening part!:oogle:

Took the car down to my neighbors workshop were I'll be working on it:)
DSC02392.jpg

Ripped off some more peaces
DSC02395.jpg

DSC02400.jpg

And took out almost the rest of the interior
DSC02423.jpg

DSC02405.jpg

DSC02420.jpg

Took down the gastank
DSC02425.jpg

And the rear suspension
DSC02438.jpg

DSC02439.jpg

DSC02440.jpg

Started to clean a little bit inside the front fender just to see how it will turn out eventually
DSC02421.jpg

DSC02424.jpg

Finished the rollers, had to attache the pipes that are going into the bumper hole
DSC02467.jpg

DSC02469.jpg

Took out the "rear door panel":lol:
DSC02459.jpg

Grinding and new paint to see how it looks like:)Will be nice to see the whole underside like this!
DSC02470.jpg

And got the car up!Took of the front suspension also so it would be easier to turn
DSC02473.jpg

DSC02475.jpg

Cutted a little bit
DSC02478.jpg

Drilling
DSC02482.jpg

Finish:)Exept from the front there, but need to replace the piece in the inner fender anyway so I didnt bother..
DSC02483.jpg

DSC02484.jpg

Here I ****ed up, but it will be changed anyway because of rust inside between the plates..
DSC02485.jpg

The rest of the welding parts I need to widen the car:)I only work on the body in the weekends and vacation, thats why the "long" time between the dates on body updates..

DSC02491.jpg

Started cutting the wheel arc
DSC02496.jpg

DSC02497.jpg

Cutted away the bad part, grinded a little bit and put on some welding paint
DSC02501.jpg

DSC02509.jpg

Spotted on a new plate and welded it..
DSC02511.jpg

DSC02512.jpg

Took away the plate in the wheel house front
DSC02514.jpg

And the wheels house it self dissapeard:lol:
DSC02515.jpg

Not sure what this peace is called in english, but I cutted it away:)Looked good inside!
DSC02516.jpg

Adjusted the new one and put clamps on it
DSC02527.jpg

Cutted a little bit and found the jack!:oogle: Here its 4cm but i wont be doing so much..
DSC02528.jpg

Made the "finish" cut on the wheel house and knocked it strait so it will flush with the new peace..
DSC02530.jpg

And made the inside here..I make all the parts in paper first and transfer that to metal
DSC02532.jpg

Whent to the carscrap(??) and found a 960 there:)Me and a friend pulled down the front and engine
DSC02539.jpg

Pulled away the geardbox and all the garbage
DSC02542.jpg

And the parts for me!:D My friend will take the front and engine for his 740 turbo project
DSC02543.jpg

Finish welding and grinding on the wheel house!!
DSC02550.jpg

And removed some tectyl on the inner front fender
DSC02552.jpg

Back