• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'92 ZEXEL AC compressor clutch change in situ?

DET17

Reformed SAABaholic
Any experience with just a clutch change? Charged system in my 92 745T, clutch is dead shorted to ground, a goner. I read the clutch can be pulled off with the 3 each M5 threaded holes to "jack it off" the shaft..... but after that the trail goes cold.

I've got a perfect donor clutch from another 92 with around 55K miles on it, compressor is locked up from sleeping 20 years.

Thanks for pertinent advice ;-)

DET. I don't have the info you're after, but I'll tell you that I changed the AC clutch and shims on my Evo in situ so I'm not sure why you couldn't do it here?

Just a heads up because... magnets and stuff.

I'll pull the donor AC compressor clutch off with M5 x 35mm SHCS, maybe 40mm. I'm going to put my gauges on the car this weekend to ensure it has a full charge of R134a. If not, might as well yank the entire compressor and swap with another "known functional" in my hoard.

Well, considering I found the system showing 10 psi I didn't need to worry about saving the charge. Put my vacuum pump on and the system is nice and tight. Rather than disturb the current compressor, I decided to try and pull the clutch per the original intent. Not too bad thus far.... donor compressor center hub pulls right off with the 3 aforementioned jack screws. Pull the center bolt....remove an external snap ring that keeps the bearing on snout of the compressor. Tricky part.... the 3 phillips heads that hold the clutch windings, WOW are they tight and the screws are quite soft. Used the mini-ratchet with prodigious axial force to keep the Phillips bit fully engaged so they could be broken loose. Certainly feels like ZEXEL used a form of Loctite to keep them from vibrating out.

SO, I have the replacement and am in process with removing the dead solider from my compressor.

Well today is the today she went together. I had my machinist buddy make me a cylindrical drive tool to center on the bearing in the Vbelt drive sheave bearing. Put a bag of ice on the center hub of the ZEXEL to help ease the drive into position, a light press fit or perhaps "line to line". Coated the hub of the compressor with light lube, centered things up and with a half doz. blows from the plastic "deadblow" swinging sideways the sheave & bearing registered fully on the hub. Cover plate on the bearing reinstalled, and my snap ring pliers barely fit but reinstalled the external snap ring. I left the radiator & fan in place while changing this clutch.... just had to remove/aside the charcoal filter assy.

This job is TIGHT, but doable in situ.

Last adjusted with the center drive plate and the 3 each M5 screws to get the air gap in the clutch between .3 and .5mm.... the only specs I could find via the web. Tested the new clutch with a 12V jumper wire and she actuates just like those engineers intended. JOY.

Going to vacuum it down, and install some 134a this afternoon. Sure hope my ECC is good.... put a spare (untested) to replace the original 92 unit with a 95 donor. Hopefully she's blowing cold here this afternoon.........

And this is with the low mounted compressor on the PS (LHD) side?

Did you do most of the job on your back or bent over?

Yes, the late 7s and all the 9s have that driver side low mount for the AC compressor.

Car up on ramps (never trust a floor jack), remove the belly pan, and it wasn't that bad. I use a creeper which makes it easy to roll around beneath.

I did some work from the topside (with a row of kneeling pads across the top of the radiator & core support).....I can't do such work with the car sitting at ride height! Too old......

Good info. Hopefully that gets you some cool breeze.

Indeed. With the CCOT design of the late 7s & 9s..... I saw as low as 38*F in the center vent (cabin of the car started around 80*F when I left the house). When you install a thermometer in the center vents you can see the CCOT function; when the compressor cycles you will see the cabin air swinging from ~40*F then up to ~50*F when she's not compressing.

Sweet indeed, what with near 90*F and humid as hell in the ATL. :-D

Back