• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What should I do while head is off?

orrob

I've pulled the head from my '93 240 to get some work done on it. Anything I should replace or check while the head and manifolds are out and out of the way. Its got 212k on it and I don't know much about its history.

^Along with those, both heater hoses since they're right there. Rear cam plug seal.

Unless they are pristine. Replace the exhaust manifold studs. Replace the rear cam plug while easier to access. Replace the valve hushers while easier to access.

Also a good time to put in the B cam for a stronger running engine especially if it's a manual.

+1 on exhaust studs! I have never seen a head that still had valve hushers in them. I just leave those out cause they just end up in the oil at some point.

I will get the studs for sure! One was broken off in the head (the one furthest in the back of course)...part of the reason to pull the head. What about the coolant sensor? Should I replace it as well?

Last edited:
If the sensors were good. I would just keep using them. I just had to have the head off on my 93 wagon and I kept the old sensors which were working fine. Clean up the connections and make sure there isn't any corrosion and they will be good.

Replace crank sensor if janky, but at least unbolt it, wipe it clean, and antisieze the bolt to a non gorilla torque. Do the same for the starter bolts to make life good for you if the next guy. Antisieze anything that looks like it could **** you in the future.

Clean the IAC while it's there in the open, clean throttle on your benchtop, throw in injector and fpr seals. Replac the 4 inch fuel return hose on the rail from for 3$

Def replace the heater hoses

Order a new dipstick oring, and oil cap seal for a few bucks

Motor mounts should be a little easier if needed, check accessory bushings too. Check the belts you removed, antisieze the accessory adjustment screws, rember to unload them after affix ing the main nuts.

Do the exhaust studs. Breaking on on the bench is a joy compared to on the car.

Replace the plug on the oil sender from an good old harness, anyof the same plug, non rotted out. Those plugs are often rotten or even gone.

When reassemble use an oil vaopr safe hose to relocate the flame trap to just above the intake, make cleaning it next time a snap

Adjust the throttle position sensor and throttle linkage on the bench, so comfy not on the car.
Order and do all you can now, worth every penny

Last edited:
Closely inspect the condition of your wiring and vacuum hoses while the intake manifold is off, and repair / replace as needed.

Might as well replace the thermostat while you are at it.

+1 on the thermostat and oil seperator box. I wish I had been smarter when I puled my head, few weeks later I was into the PCV on my b230ft.

Great assortment of stuff above, each of those I didn't do the first time I had mine off, I ended up wishing that I had, particularly the crank pos sensor.

This thread keeps bumping so I cannot resist the urge any longer...
h28E844A3

Back