• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Speedometer Acting Up When Cold

PhysSDK2

Speedometer is dead...for the first few miles when it?s cold outside, then when the car warms up it pops to life. Capacitors, rear abs sensor, or something else? Also the cluster has been resoldered and I checked all the joints, they?re all good.

Dont know exactly what type speedo you have, mine is a vdo and acted almost the same. It was the germanium diode which most likely got a little too hot during resoldering. My brother wired in a led near that diode and it was clear when it was and wasnt working.

This is exactly what my speedo does in my '87 240. Always in the morning or at night when it's fairly cold out that my speedo shuts off mid drive until I smack it back to life. I already know the general speed according to gear and rpm, but it's still annoying because it takes the odo down with it and I like keeping track of miles. For sure it's probably a dying capacitor or bad solder in the speedo itself, all my wires are intact and clean.

Yea mine’s a Yazaki cluster, I guess I’ll pull it once my other car’s out of the body shop and see if the caps are leaking or if I have any burned traces. Reading this faq the 91-92s had early issues but perhaps it’s only a matter of time before all electrolytic caps go bad including the 93-94s.

Update, it is the capacitors and traces on the speedo board, desoldered tonight ordered new caps. Looks almost exactly like this
speedo7_1022.jpg

Technical note I have discovered the 94 Yazaki speedo is exactly the same as the 93. I will post a list of capacitor part numbers once I verify they work properly. That way if you have this issue you can just order them and fix it in one shot.

Since this was never posted any other place for 93-94 speedo. Only one electrolytic cap was bad but since they’re all the same age... Capacitor refresh parts list: 1 each of non polar 1uF 50V 20% UMP1H010MDD Nichion, polar 100uF 25V 10% UKL1E101KPDANA nichion, polar 47uF 10% UKL1E470KEDANA nichion, polar 220uF 16V 10% UKL1C221KPDANA nichion. Either solder on traces or 22 gauge wire point to point for trace repair on damages section, depending on situation.

I'm subscribing for sure, I've been thinking about replacing the caps, but keep procrastinating. If it fixes your speedo, I'm ordering the caps as soon as possible.

For disassembly follow this, halfway down the page is the 93-94 speedo instructions. Cluster disassembly is same as 91 here except you’ll notice you don’t have as many screws in a 93-94, that’s okay just remove the ones that match that you do have. And of course verify you have yazaki cluster before doing this, by looking at you tripometer. If each number in your trip has a different window, you have a Yazaki.

I'm subscribing for sure, I've been thinking about replacing the caps, but keep procrastinating. If it fixes your speedo, I'm ordering the caps as soon as possible.

Yes, I?d try it. Generally cheaper than even buying a used one off eBay. Cost me like 5 dolars to fix this. Obviously if it?s your 240 it?s a different setup, so ymmv.

Revive?
So I finally pulled the trigger and got a cheapo soldering iron to resolder my connections and on the first drive, no cut outs. Only over time will I know if I actually fixed the speedo or not, but right now both the speedo and odo work.

Back