• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LS 940 Temp gauge help

levik

I used the 240 single wire sender for my temp gauge on LS swap since I could chuck it in the lathe and turn it down. Yellow/ white wire to it. Now the two gauge wants to peg every time the dash lights are on or jump up and down with turn signals. The yellow/black wire that I thought supplied ground for the sender I have left alone. Should that have been grounded maybe?
Also since LS runs hotter than redblock is there a way to add a resistor in-line to make 200 a midway point?
TIA

I know almost nothing about 940s, but the temperature sender for a LH2.2 240 is a 2-pin single-sensor sender (the LH2.4 240 senders are 2-pins dual-sensor senders, using the engine block for ground). If your 940 uses 2 wires to the dash temp gauge, try running those same 2 wires to a LH2.2 240 sender.

edit: nvm, I was thinking ECU/EZK sensors, not dash gauge.

Last edited:
All 240's and early 740's use a single wire sender for the gauge. Later 740's and 940's use a 2 wire sender.

4f98e5552f7537885e88566c1f0489bf.jpg

bd2e270ad57fe8233b8edf778aacea00.jpg

The second wire supplied ground according to my DVM now the sender is grounded to the block.

The '94 940 wiring diagram isn't clear but the '95 diagram does seem to show the yellow/black wire is supplying ground to the sender from within the gauge (circled in red).

940TempGaugeWiring.jpg

The diagram also show 2 connectors between the sender and gauge. You may have a bad connection in one of the connectors. Try grounding the sender wire and see if the gauge moves. Don't leave the wire grounded too long. If the gauge pegs it can be damaged.

If the connection is good try connecting the 2 wire sender and see if the gauge behaves properly.

Back