• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

amerbritcan's 242 build

amerbritcan

Hnnnnnng
This is my recently acquired 1982 242 DL. Slow and ugly. I'll fix the slow bit, the ugly suits it just fine. It's cosmetically rusty, as seen in the pics, but solid underneath. Once road legal, I had just over $1k CDN put into it, and for a car with 54 8**km's, I thought that was pretty effing good. The car has Virgos with hankook ventus stickies all round, 242GT style firewall to strut tower braces, and ipd springs in the front, but not rear. All I've really done so far is clean it up (yes, it was worse) and sticker it up (the most important part!:-P) the only possible cosmetic upgrades i could see happening would be window tint and rust repair. Seeing as I'm in a 2 bedroom apartment, with no garage and a gravel driveway, I don't see myself doing a lot of work on it in the driveway, so I'll have to make good friends with someone with a bay or a garage. I've done some very-not-pretty rust repair to the driver's door. the passenger door's beltline trim is flailing off in the wind, and glue did nothing, so I'll have to find a way to fix that.

Pictures!
SANY0001.jpg

The back 3/4 shot
SANY0002.jpg

Help me figure out what is meant by that sticker! TWELVE2one means nothing to me...and no, that's not my compression ratio
SANY0003.jpg

I don't know what the next step is on that trim...superglue failed so.... duct tape?
SANY0004.jpg

SANY0005.jpg

SANY0006.jpg

SANY0007.jpg

Rust Rust Rust!
SANY0008.jpg

SANY0009.jpg

Believe it or not, this is far and away better than it was when I got it. How the engine bay accumulated so much gunk from only going 54 000 kms I'll never figure out

So! first orders of business will be suspension! so I'm looking for cheap springs, poly bushings, sway bars etc. I want this thing way stiffer and maybe a bit lower. Then I may swap in a 5spd That came along for the ride in the trunk, though I've no idea what 5 spd it is. Highway speeds in this thing are horrible. it's screaming at 110-120km/h.

Looks like a good starting point! Did you find it locally?

Reminds me of when I first acquired my 242....mind you mine had almost 400 000km on it when I got it. ;-)

A can of engine degreaser and a couple of toonies down at the car wash will do that engine bay wonders. Report back with more pics. :)

those little white clips that hold the beltline trim on are available from the stealership for cheap cheap.

but i prefer to remove the trim and fill the holes (looks better)

Wicked Jay, you have to show off your PV as well man. There are tons of 2xx series cars in our junkyards, Macadoos and Euro. Damn you and your wicked 242 man j/k. Wanna trade:rofl:?

Mike

Twelve2one :)

...Kidding. Build looks fun. I can't believe how nasty that engine bay is. Cover the dizzy with a bag, and get some purple power cleaner on there. Then pressure wash the you know what out of it. Should help. Lots.

Looks like a good starting point! Did you find it locally? Report back with more pics. :)

Thanks man! I found it on usedottawa.com, and the seller was actually in Quebec. it's a quebec car originally.

Mike, your car is miles faster than mine, so, if all I cared about was performance, I'd trade in an instant. unfortunately, this is also my DD, so I need more seats haha.

Thanks Matt! I'll go down to the local stealership later and see of that works. the trim is totally bent out of whack though so we'll see

Trim Fixed!

I fixed the bicyclist-whipping passenger door trim! I know it's nothing big, but just to keep the thread moving. Here's some pics;

SANY0001-1.jpg

SANY0003.jpg

SANY0002-1.jpg

SANY0003-1.jpg

SANY0004-1.jpg

My wallet took a serious hit from this:-P so I don't know when I'll be able to make my next big expense:lol:

On a new note, today was day two at my new job, so hopefully I'll have money to spend on the car soon.

Next, the auxiliary gauge cluster! right now it's just mounted in the hole, nothing's plugged in, so that'll be next to sort out.

Nice Van Herpt reciept Jake, you can get a new trim piece off of division st on macadoo road at the wreckers if you want. We can take a trip sometime and check stuff out. I need an e30 spoiler.

Mike

Where do you work?

oh and looks good :nod:

Nice Van Herpt reciept Jake, you can get a new trim piece off of division st on macadoo road at the wreckers if you want. We can take a trip sometime and check stuff out. I need an e30 spoiler.

Mike

I am a customer service representative for Startek, which is a business process outsourcing company. I am an over-the-phone customer service guy. Mike; That would be sweet. I don't really need anything in particular, now that that trim is on there good and proper (I know it's still bent and mashed, but all I care about is it being attached) but I'll scope out the volvos for stuff I might want to pull off of them later. +T stuff or suspension goodies.

Whenever possible, Startek promotes from within...

Jay, sorry I missed you guys for the brake job last week. We'll have to have a volvo drinkfest soon, before my brick goes in for storage.

-Max

Ha hahahaha. yeah. It was kind of a last resort cuz I was broke initially, but it's not bad so far, and The promotion thing is an asset. That drinkfest should happen soon. Mike wants to cruise the JY for bits for his E30, so maybe we can combine those activities? Not drinking at the JY....though that could get entertaining, wake up the next morning with a half volvo part bmw part Saturn or something ridiculous like that parked in the driveway lol.

We'll have to hangout soon.

I'm stealing work interwebs to say my intertnet's down *shakes fist at cogeco* so no more updates until I get it working again. Also, whoever told me it was an easy fix to hook up those auxiliary guages get's a smack once I figure out who it was. My dash was ripped appart this mortning, and they still dont work.

I'm stealing work interwebs to say my intertnet's down *shakes fist at cogeco* so no more updates until I get it working again. Also, whoever told me it was an easy fix to hook up those auxiliary guages get's a smack once I figure out who it was. My dash was ripped appart this mortning, and they still dont work.

Hey Jake, I can help you with those, I have gotten quite good with gauges. I got all my extra ones spliced properly now, and they all work, yeah. What problems are you having, bad connections/senders?

Someone who once had a '82 242 non turbo told me that all I had to do was pull them out of the dash, and all the required wiring/senders etc were already hooked up, so all I'd have to do would be plug them in. this is bull**** I found one spare connector, and I think it's less spare and more pulled off of the back of my dash

Back