• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Will she blow?

RichGT

https://imgur.com/gallery/JpgEwpT

Note the odd chirping/ ticking noise?

Motor has cleaned up 531. Head is decked, valves lapped (not by me), lash correct. Running the mis-ground iPd turbo cam from many years ago, was running at 2 deg advanced for years in stock 530 head. Timing seems off, I have modified dizzy to allow for the out of alignment keyway. Matches the original bad distributor, with new hall sensor wiring

89 b230ft, Lh2.2, leads, plugs, TPS reset and idle adjusted, new water pump, heater bypass valve, bypass hard pipe, yoshi turbo drain, phenolic inlets spacers.

Vac is good, vacuum lost in time with that chirp/tick. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
The tick sounds like an exhaust leak. Chirp is likely overtightened belts. Also, reset your idle base settings. Also also, sounds like it's firing on 3. Definitely make sure the timing belt isn't off a tooth.

pull plug wire off one at a time. When you find the one that doesnt change anything. Thats the bad cylinder but, diffently sounds like something foreign in cylinder. I wouldnt run it anymore than you have to and pull head off. Good luck

Remember that cool tool in shop class that would allow you to drop a cylinder at the touch of a button?

What is "out of alignment keyway?" Sounds bad...

Remember that cool tool in shop class that would allow you to drop a cylinder at the touch of a button?

What is "out of alignment keyway?" Sounds bad...

The keyway where the distributor drive dog fits into the cam. The early turbo cams from IPD where ground 20 deg out of alignment from correct ignition timing. No time for this with work being busy before Xmas. I will report back with findings

Back