• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

mechanical fan vs electric?? with proof?

Definitely thank you for taking the time to do the dyno pulls! It'll be really cool to see the gains as you get the car back to running well in stock form, and beyond.

The 240 rally car sees a lot of high revs and sideways action, so air is not always going into the radiator, and the tropical clutch is almost always engaged by the end of a stage (who knows when it kicks on). So for us, the power loss from a fully locked up fan at 4k-7.5k rpm is actually of interest. The good news about that setup is that we have never seen temps over 200F on stage.

I just installed a shrouded e-fan from a 9 series and used the thermo switch in the radiator as well as a switch inside. Heading to one of the hottest rallies we do every year this weekend, will report back on how the system worked.

You sir are in need of more radiator capacity.
Aftermarket aluminum radiators can be purchased by core size, by application... Made up however you like. Another 3-5 pounds in a big aluminum radiator is well worth the effort when the engine stays cool regardless of savagery on the part of the driver.

I did this in the rallycar. Temp gauge never climbs.

Aftermarket aluminum radiators can be purchased by core size, by application... Made up however you like. Another 3-5 pounds in a big aluminum radiator is well worth the effort when the engine stays cool regardless of savagery on the part of the driver.

Agreed. Mishimoto would is a go-to for aftermarket aluminum radiators for me. They have fantastic build quality, not to mention a kick ass warranty that covers front end collision.

I wouldn't say it needs more capacity. The system works just fine as it is with a stock fan shroud and tropical fan clutch, since it never sees the temps over 180-190F and the needle is steady.

I wouldn't say it needs more capacity. The system works just fine as it is with a stock fan shroud and tropical fan clutch, since it never sees the temps over 180-190F and the needle is steady.

Out of curiosity....why did you decide to switch to an efan? Noise? Engine bay space? Seriously curious.

Out of curiosity....why did you decide to switch to an efan? Noise? Engine bay space? Seriously curious.

The added space is a bonus, but it comes down to being able to control the fan.
The mechanical fan definitely does work, but it's likely overkill and we have no clue how often it's actually on.
The e-fan will use less power when it's on, and we can control when it's on and off... which may be more often than the mechanical fan... but who knows?

Update on the efan:
It worked great all weekend at the rally race. We never had to over-ride the stock temp switch, and the coolant temps never got over 195F-ish while on stage. Ambient temps were from 60-80F.

Update on the efan:
It worked great all weekend at the rally race. We never had to over-ride the stock temp switch, and the coolant temps never got over 195F-ish while on stage. Ambient temps were from 60-80F.

This didn't happen to be the Idaho race, was it?

Last edited:
Isn't the real story that you should spend money on other performance improvements?

Then if you can't leave well enough alone or you want a quieter fan so you can hear more turbo noise. Go for the efan.

Just my thought. Myself I have not changed any of my cars But I am not against using electric fans. I like adding the extra pusher in front. It helps the a/c work a bit better in the hottest part of the summer. Added that to the 82 turbo when it had working a/c.

Back