• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 dash crack

eebird

No doubt this has been discussed elsewhere and I looked through some old threads. I have some cracks in my 92 240 dash. The one creeping towards the front edge is what concerns me. I would like to arrest the crack spreading and then put a cover over it, but what materials should I use to fill the crack that would stop it from spreading?

IMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

I don't think I want to spend the money on a replacement dash because I assume that may crack as well...?

I have had success stopping cracks from growing and minimizing their appearance by:

Carefully put wide painters tape exactly on the margins of the crack.
Using a quality black RTV such as Permatex or JB Weld, slightly overfill the crack.
Let it settle for a couple of minutes and then use a putty knife or similar to level it and force the RTV deep into the crack. The excess will be on the tape.
Give it a minute or two and carefully pull up the tape.

After it dries install the dash cover from RWC.

If you really want to ATTEMPT to stop the crack you need to stop drill it.

The logic is that once it's splitting, it's effectively easy for it to continue to split. Because it's tearing at a finite point. If you drill a small hole in the end of the crack (as they do for airplanes) then it's basically trying to tear a rounded hole... which is much more difficult obviously.

That said, our dash isn't metal.

I just checked their online search function and it shows none available for an '82 244 GLT.

Guess I'll have to call; you sourced one for your '78 a couple years ago, so you'd think they'd have it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info/thoughs. I have looked at the Coverlay covers, I may get one....I believe the reason the 1992 is not listed is that it does not have the center vent, but the covers that fit up to 1988 240s still fit 1989-1993, just with that hole for the center vent. I am not 100% certain, but that is my understanding.

Back