• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cordless Impacts.

theknave

Maybe this belongs in off-topic, idk.

After my recent bj job ;-) I came to find that sometimes you just can't pretend that you can get through life without a solid impact.

But what do you do when a compressor is out of the question? Enter cordless and corded impact wrenches.

Did a quick Amazon search and found this which, to me, looks like a good value.

41bGHQ8JdWL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-IWH181-...&sr=8-6&keywords=bosch+cordless+impact+wrench

However, I've only really beat on air guns. I don't have any real experience with the cordless ones.

Now, I'm asking for your opinion/experience with cordless impact wrenches. Ones that worked for you, ones that didn't and why... stuff like that. Ok go.

I have both the 3/8" and 1/2" Dewalt 18V impacts and they are outstanding tools. I use the 3/8" all the time and the 1/2" works great too. I only wish I would have bought them sooner.

DW059K-2_1_500X500.jpg

DC823B_1NB_500X500.jpg

I prefer the Milwaukie impact because it uses a normal trigger switch (not a rocker), and it has better modulation over others.

The problem I have found using a cordless driver is that the designers never considered greasy hands. Every time it is used it adds a couple minutes to clean up all the pretty colored surfaces. Mine is only a quarter inch little guy but it has broken free every automotive nut/bolt I have applied it to.

While I have all the air tools for big jobs my 50 year old Black & Decker Commercial corded impact wrench is stronger than any of them.

The problem I have found using a cordless driver is that the designers never considered greasy hands. Every time it is used it adds a couple minutes to clean up all the pretty colored surfaces. Mine is only a quarter inch little guy but it has broken free every automotive nut/bolt I have applied it to.

While I have all the air tools for big jobs my 50 year old Black & Decker Commercial corded impact wrench is stronger than any of them.

You hid it dead center. Got the smaller 1/2" milwaukee that is only has 183 ft lbs but eveytime I use it I have to clean it up and put it back in its case. Purchased Cordless for the junkyard pulls.

I bought the Dewalt 20v lithium 1/2" drive impact for my Dad for christmas. Turned out he really wanted a hammer drill so asked me to return it. I used it once and decided to keep it for myself. It doesn't have the ultimate power of the air gun cranked up, but it's surprisingly powerful. It's also really convenient to use, very compact, weighs basically nothing. I was and am really impressed with it. The power they get for the size of the motors now is amazing.

This is THE one to get IMO.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200589359_200589359

good price on it to.

It's highly portable, compact, light weight, and does 200 ft/lb.... only reason you might need more is for big stuff like crank pulleys.

although if you will only have one impact... it might be better to get the larger 1/2" Drive units so you will never be out of torque. I just like having smaller tools that can fit into more places.

If you are only doing car related stuff the 3/8 drive should be more then sufficient. If you do a lot of industrial stuff with larger bolts then the 1/2 is probably the winner.

Last edited:
I have both the 3/8" and 1/2" Dewalt 18V impacts and they are outstanding tools. I use the 3/8" all the time and the 1/2" works great too. I only wish I would have bought them sooner.
[/IMG]

I have the same 1/2" and it's made life so much easier outside the shop, been too lethargic to get an air compressor at my place and at this point I'm just going to wait. :oops:

Been looking at getting a 3/8" so I'm not using an adapter at times. zip zip zip

The biggest plus of the 1/2" unit is that I don't have to constantly trip over an air hose or cord. I've retired my old Black and Decker corded one.

I use a 1/2" Harbor Freight corded turd that I got on sale for $29. I use it all the time and have had no issues with it at all. I'd like to get a cordless one for junkyard runs though.

For me, a MATCO MCL1838IWK 3/8" drive 18v. 325 lbs. breakaway torque, 25 - 250 lbs. working torque. Next on my purchase list is the 1/4" drive smaller cousin.:cool: "They're so cute when they're young".;-)
My corded B&D 1/2" has got so many hours on it that the head needs rebuilding. I've owned it since 1987, so it doesn't owe me much. BTW, the Snap-On version of the same tool for that year was a rebadged B&D, for you trivia buffs...

My corded B&D 1/2" has got so many hours on it that the head needs rebuilding. I've owned it since 1987, so it doesn't owe me much. BTW, the Snap-On version of the same tool for that year was a rebadged B&D, for you trivia buffs...

Sounds like the one I have. Made back when B&D made good stuff.

I have a kobalt cordless impact I've used to upgrade from my harbour freight impact that was shooting off sparks. I really couldn't be happier with it. 300lbs of torque. It makes any job easier,and has a great battery life. I plan on getting a smaller impact so I have something a little more versatile, but my kobalt has been great.

DW059K-2_1_500X500.jpg

DC823B_1NB_500X500.jpg

Same setup I've used for years, XRP 3/8's and XRP batteries. I swear by Dewalt Drills, the 1/2 has worked amazing for when I'm out at Autocross and swapping wheels or just at home and pulling leaf springs or lowering subframes.

Back