• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Microsquirt vii Regina crank signal

Find a copy of greenbook TP31397-1 Ignition and, I think, there's a picture of your Regina crank wheel on pg. 24. MicroSquirt may use slightly different nomenclature for the wheel: 44-2-2 "fourty-four minus 2 minus 2". You may need to search around http://msextra.com/forums/ if it doesn't behave for you -- support for some of the more uncommon wheels can be buggy/broken.

Thank you for the link. I just need to figure out how to input the settings into TunerStudio. I have a extra Regina flex plate on the bench to look at

Can someone help me set this up for Regina?

https://i.imgur.com/SWKIjO1l.jpg

SWKIjO1l.jpg

if it's a v2 micro, I think you have to have an external vr conditioner, right?

anyway, regarding the firmware,software... when you upgrade to ms&se, tunerstudio will auto detect and download (if need be) the correct definitions for that, and then I suspect things will make a bit more sense.

Ok I’ll try it. My old computer I use won’t connect to the internet and the usb to rs-232 adapter won’t work on my newer windows computer or Mac book. So I need to transfer it to a flash drive blah blah blah.
Thank you for the help

I got the firmware changed. I forgot my old computer at work and it still won’t work with my newer windows unit. But I like it a lot better when I had a chance to mess with it at work. Just need to figure out how to input the ignition stuff for Regina

Can you check what version of MicroSquirt you have? It should say something like "Microsquirt Engine Controller V3" or similar on the back of the plastic case. (You do have a plastic cased MicroSquirt, about the size of a pack of cards, and not a metal cased MegaSquirt, about the size of a paperback book?) The V3 microsquirt includes conditioning circuits for VR CPS sensors. The original microsquirts only directly supported Hall type CPS sensors -- you need an add-on VR conditioner board to use a VR sensor, or an adapter bracket and a hall sensor (Mueller?).

If you're completely new to MicroSquirt/MegaSquirt/TunerStudio, ask around and see if you can find someone close by that will show you their setup. Good things to know about are:
- initial sensor calibration setup
- diagnostic testing modes
- high speed tooth logging
- general logging and viewing

What's your engine and car?

I have microsquirt v2 metal case. The car is a a 1990 740 Regina. I have made a plug and play harness and I know what all of the sensors should be calibrated too.

I thought I could use the factory crank sensor. Well crap. This is frustrating. I don’t know anyone else running a stand alone. I just try to read and take. Let’s as much as possible.

The original MicroSquirts used the same circuits as the MegaSquirts, but in a smaller package. Instead of the fussy adjustment pots for the crank conditioning circuits, MicroSquirt used fixed values. You might get lucky and have those fixed values work OK with your setup, but I doubt it.

To try this, you'd connect CPS pin 1 or 2 (VR+ or VR-) to the MicroSquirt VRIN+ pin, the other CPS VR pin to ground, and the shield to ground. There's a chance that you'll have the polarity wrong and will have ignition wander. If so, swap which VR pin from the CPS goes to VRIN+. The old MicroSquirt docs, or maybe the experts here, might know which CPS pin (1 or 2) to use.

Also try sending a PM to Mueller and see if he's the one who made adapter pieces to use a Hall sensor in the CPS sensor hole. I don't know how well they worked, but it would be one solution. Otherwise, JBperf (or maybe FreeEMSFred) have standalone VR conditioner boards.

Awesome thank you very much for the clear explanation and help.
I was reading this, this morning. I don’t know if that applies to me.
0cHgoXol.png

I found some docs for the microsquirt V2 and yes, there is a dedicated VR- pin (it just connects to ground within the box), so you'll connect CPS pins 1 and 2 to microsquirt VRIN1+ and VRIN- (pins 32,33). You can connect CPS pin 3 shield to VRIN-, or to any other ground pin. I don't know whether CPS pin 1 goes to the + or -. It's probably the same as connecting to a MegaSquirt if you can find that.

I'd try running your CPS as is with the MSextra code and see if it works. The V2 circuits may be OK with your Regina wheel, or they may have problems at higher RPM, like some of the other MegaSquirt/MicroSquirt circuits.

The link to the V2 docs is this page, and it's links too: http://www.microsquirt.info/v2index.htm

Here's a picture of a MicroSquirt V2 from the above link:
uS.jpg

As an added bonus, here's something that I had never seen before (as if the MegaSquirt relay board wasn't a bad idea already). It's a "MicroSquirt Access Board":
access1.jpg

Good luck

Back