• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Setting up ignition on megasquirt

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg
[/IMG]

I don't run a hall so don't go changing anything until one of the guys here running a hall or gross polluter verify my suggestions. I bring my optical (hall) stuff in on a VR circuit!

First issue i see is your setup for 12v not 5v
Based off what grosspoluter "LH distributors have a floating output and ground when triggered."
The circuit you have made is for hall sensors that go high (5v / 12v) when a tooth passes in front of the sensor.
v3input-hall.gif

you need to be running this circuit.
v3input-halllohi.GIF

and this is a pullup
pullup.GIF

So i built the board, seems like it works no smoke and all. My RPM is at like 65000 rpm ( with red faced dial )????,and another problem has shown itself. I get everything set up in tuner studio for TPS, thermister values and all that jazz. I power down the unit and all values are lost they are at completly different values :grrr:. Why does this happen? I thought these values should be burned into the ecu?? Also been wondering i've been leaving my ignition coil disconnected for safety reasons I suppose, should it be connected for MS to work properly?

Also when this happens, the TPS, MAT, CT....all cannot be changed for example my TPS doesnt read fuk all???? HELP PLEASE before I go "office space" on this MS. The only cure I have found is flashing the ecu. and recalibrate. but that works until it shuts down. not very ideal.

oh boy something is wrong.

you need to start by testing each circuit 1 by one till you find the culprit.

Build a stimulator so you can feed it signals and see what if any thing is not right.

I built a MS v3.0 board. It ran fine for awhile. Then a ball of slag from my soldering wedged itself between some CPU pins and killed the CPU. I'm (OK) with soldering stuff. Did all my model RC Helis, and fix wing stuff for years.

I then went out and bit the bullet and bought a almost finished v3.57 unit.

Now when I add anything to my board I do it off site of the unit and then after testing it I solder only the minimum stuff I have to make it work and connect to my proto area.

With some risers you can make some proto areas for $10

419327_3218694398770_1608712812_2572402_1642662350_n.jpg

My current board that works

408471_3243716344303_1608712812_2587303_1693719362_n.jpg

This way I only have a few wires running to the MS board. The rest if off site.

So i built the board, seems like it works no smoke and all. My RPM is at like 65000 rpm ( with red faced dial )????,and another problem has shown itself. I get everything set up in tuner studio for TPS, thermister values and all that jazz. I power down the unit and all values are lost they are at completly different values :grrr:. Why does this happen? I thought these values should be burned into the ecu?? Also been wondering i've been leaving my ignition coil disconnected for safety reasons I suppose, should it be connected for MS to work properly?

65536 RPMs and a pulsing fuel pump indicate there's a configuration error. The ecu won't accept your TPS and temp sensor values if there's a config error. That's why you lose your settings when you turn the ecu off.

This can be caused by improper trigger settings or trying to use an output for more than one function. Usually TunerStudio will tell you what the config error is. With TunerStudio running and the ecu connected, turn the ecu off and back on. Right when the ECU turns on it will report the error to TunerStudio. Fix that error first.

Once you get the ECU to boot without a config error then you can set your TPS and temp sensors.

Leave the ignition coil disconnected while you troubleshoot. Don't connect it until you're ready to start the car.

Tunnerstudio for the win.

If you still have issues get a stimulator for sure.

I'm building mine now

cool thing about a stim is you can simi-safly test a circuit you have built with out damage or user error or ruling out a bad part etc.

and it is a config error " trigger return needs larger trigger angle e.g. 60btdc", so i corrected that and my previous values are back to normal . yay! Now i need to find out why im not getting a signal for trigger. As my engine speed dial doesnt even budge

im set to basic trig right now, still no life

now in ignition options there are a few settings that are "red" ; spark mode, ignition input capture, spark output. I feel like these should be adressed not sure how to though?

65536 RPMs and a pulsing fuel pump indicate there's a configuration error. The ecu won't accept your TPS and temp sensor values if there's a config error. That's why you lose your settings when you turn the ecu off.

This can be caused by improper trigger settings or trying to use an output for more than one function. Usually TunerStudio will tell you what the config error is. With TunerStudio running and the ecu connected, turn the ecu off and back on. Right when the ECU turns on it will report the error to TunerStudio. Fix that error first.

Once you get the ECU to boot without a config error then you can set your TPS and temp sensors.

Leave the ignition coil disconnected while you troubleshoot. Don't connect it until you're ready to start the car.

Good call on this though, no more errors of such. thanks

Tunnerstudio for the win.

If you still have issues get a stimulator for sure.

I'm building mine now

cool thing about a stim is you can simi-safly test a circuit you have built with out damage or user error or ruling out a bad part etc.
I got one, and it works for TPS, clT,IAT, 02. but not for RPM. I've read that hall sensors of my style cannot be tested using the stim, not sure how correct this is. Any ideas?

I see your using Js10 to trigger spark.

I think stock setup is Spark A (D14) check that you have selected JS10 in tuner studio for spark out.

If the above is true you can test spark out signal only with a multimeter by puting it out on Spark A and seeing if it comes out there OK then you know its JS10.

If you ever plan on going with wasted spark or cam trigger you will want to come out on Spark A.

Back