• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Blue Bastahrd - Targa Newfoundland Entry

Dakar09

The Blue Baastard
Hey guys,

I've been bouncing around the forums for the last few months, accumulating know-how and parts for this project. I'm ready to start the work now, so I figured it was a good time to start a thread.

We raced an e39 M5 in the 2010 Targa Newfoundland this past Sept., but we only entered the Grand Touring class with that car. I didn't want to put a roll cage in that car, so we "took it easy", per say. This is a link to the actual event:

http://www.targanewfoundland.com/

Now I'm ready to haul arse in next year's event. The entire trip home (1 1/2 days), I was putting this project together on paper and in my head. I originally wanted to build a 122, but put the lid on that pretty quick. So, I came up with this idea:

This is the Blue Bast**d. A 1983 245 Turbo. picked up from a fella in NJ in Sept. for $500, paid $200 to have it shipped to me in MA.

Stock K-jet with floor board rust - will have the cage fabricators patch this up in January 2011.
No reverse lights but working OD - rewired the light and OD circuits - but the wires keep coming off of the reverse switch. But, I know a guy that will pass it for me :cool:, and will do a permanent fix when the T5 goes in.
Biggest issue was leaky vac lines - all taken care of.

It runs great now after bringing it near Stage 0. Haven't done the PVC system yet, as I didn't want to remove the intake manifold.

It's already gutted, aside from the two front seats, as I still need to get it inspected. Then I'm putting in 2 Corbeau seats and taking it to the fabricators for the cage and floor repair. I want to make sure I can build on this car before putting all the work into it.

Attachments

• Blue Bastahd small.jpg
    Blue Bastahd small.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,593
  • Blue Bitch side.jpg
    Blue Bitch side.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 1,593
Last edited:
The plan is as follows:

530 head w/oversized valves - have
IPD turbo cam - (need to get)
MS (fuel only) - (need to get)
B23 intake - (have) with a Chrysler FPR feeding Bosch 0 280 150 400 46# injectors (need)
15g - have
T5 swap - (have freshly rebuilt WC T5 for 86-92 5.0 Stang)
NPR I/C - (need to get)
740t in-tank pump feeding 240t main pump with a new sending unit (have all)
BBS mesh - 16x7 (have)
full upgrade of all suspension componenets + HD Bilsteins and IPD or B&G springs (have some stuff, need most)
brakes - probably run stock caliper with better rotors and ceramic pads, stainless steel lines

Here are some goodies:

Attachments

• 530 Head.jpg
    530 Head.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,584
  • 15g & 90+.jpg
    15g & 90+.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,583
  • B23 intake.jpg
    B23 intake.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 1,580
  • BBS.jpg
    BBS.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,578
  • WC T5.jpg
    WC T5.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 1,573
Last edited:
Thanks dudes.

From what I understand, you can use the stock ignition (with improvements like an MSD coil) on this with the MS for fuel. I may go this route to get it running right, then switch over to MS for ignition as well. I have a time limit to get this thing ready and want to avoid changing both fuel and ignition in the engine at the same time.

The ignition is easy to do. Just get a LH 2.2 distributor and slap it in. That's were you can make some power over kjet. The fueling won't be that much of an improvement.

I meant to add the MSD box...I run through the various parts of this project in my mind all the time and leave parts out :oops:

From what I've read, fueling with MS will make a huge improvement over K-Ket. With the MS ignition, I would need to run new wires to the distributor, no?

It's more a matter of getting the wiring correct while trying to sort the fuel out as well. Too much all at once, and it's tough to diagnose any problems that arise. Mechanical stuff I can do all day, I'm not a huge fan of wiring by any stretch of the imagination.

On a side note...on the pic of the intake manifold, what is that thing in the hose coming off the center of the manifold (sort of resting on the fuel rail)?

Targa Newfoundland has been on my to-do list for a long time. Would love to take the 242 up there some day.

Good luck with the project. Can't wait to see this take shape.

If you need any help with an MS install or wiring, send kildea a private message. He's nearby in Wellesley and has done quite a few installs for people.

Great to know, Karl. Thanks for the heads-up on kildea. It's a life changing event, the Targa. We went through serious withdrawals after this years event, even though we found the Grand Touring class to be fairly boring in the M5. I CANNOT wait to go back. I have a video on Youtube (search for "M5 brigus"), onboard during the last stage. Apparently a semi-famous driver had won it a few times in a 142 several years ago, he and his daughter IIRC.

And thanks for the vacuum source info...do they go bad at all, or can I just leave that one in place?

Great to know, Karl. Thanks for the heads-up on kildea. It's a life changing event, the Targa. We went through serious withdrawals after this years event, even though we found the Grand Touring class to be fairly boring in the M5. I CANNOT wait to go back. I have a video on Youtube (search for "M5 brigus"), onboard during the last stage. Apparently a semi-famous driver had won it a few times in a 142 several years ago, he and his daughter IIRC.

And thanks for the vacuum source info...do they go bad at all, or can I just leave that one in place?

I think the lad with the 142 would be Doug Mepham (?). He ran (and won?) in the Targa Tasmania too and I think he was involved in organizing the first Targa Newfoundlands.

That's him, John. He was co-driver in a Targa car this year, but I can't recall what team it was. Didn't have much of a chance to speak with him.

As for getting it there, it will be shipped. I drove last year, 2.5 days to get there (via ferry w/delay) and 1.5 days coming back. Not again.

Back