• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b230ft K cam required mods

Most here do know that a 19T on a redblock will not net 300HP. 20g will put you just at or under 300 with the right setup. A properly matched aftermarket turbo will net you the best results. Holsets are fairly cheap, and could handle the task.

Would a holset hx35 bolt on to the existing manifold or would I need a custom one?

The only time I ever drove a car with a K cam it was a NA B23E and that certainly felt lively up to 6000 RPM. Years ago someone tested a bunch of different cams in a Volvo turbo and came to the conclusion that the K was not really ideal for a turbo motor but IIRC the issue was at the low end, not high RPM. Personally I value low RPM torque much more than top end power but my cars are daily drivers that I use for getting around, hauling stuff and in the case of my 242 I occasionally pull a utility trailer so torque is valuable to me. I don't race or go ricing around, hell I'm lucky if I can even reach the speed limit with all the traffic around here these days.

I really don't mind a weak low end, I daily a v8 ATM and that's all low end (5.9 magnum). I wanted to build something that was a little peaky and made its power up high, just for something different.

Maybe you should be a little more tolerant of people that are trying to help you. You obviously had no idea how shimming works or the reason you would need to actually measure clearances and utilize the proper shim for each cam lobe. Give us an example of some other cars where you've checked valve clearance and how you adjusted it if necessary. I know how to adjust the valves in my Toyota 2zz-ge and there's no shims involved. If you took some quiet time, per your previous post, and actually did some research you would find that n/a cams are not the best cams to slap into a turbo engine, Google overlap and see what information that gets you.

I already said I appreciate those who we're attempting to help me, I did not appreciate those who we're leaving pointless sarcastic remarks.

Would a holset hx35 bolt on to the existing manifold or would I need a custom one?

No, the Holsets are huge. I've only ever seen them installed on a custom header that shifts the turbo forward and up higher than the stock location. You can get quite a bit of power out of a stock or slightly larger than stock turbo. By the time you're talking about big turbo upgrades you're talking thousands of dollars to upgrade everything that needs upgrading. A little extra power is cheap, beyond about 250HP more power gets exponentially more expensive.

No, the Holsets are huge. I've only ever seen them installed on a custom header that shifts the turbo forward and up higher than the stock location. You can get quite a bit of power out of a stock or slightly larger than stock turbo. By the time you're talking about big turbo upgrades you're talking thousands of dollars to upgrade everything that needs upgrading. A little extra power is cheap, beyond about 250HP more power gets exponentially more expensive.

Wow, yeah not looking to drop in turbo parts that cost multiple times what the car does lol! I wonder how a 20g would fare, would it bolt right up with the td05 housing?

This is what I have, it's got a large boss that makes it easy to reclock. I've broken a few engines, transmission, and rear ends with it. I didn't buy it from Walmart but got it from eBay for $50 less.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/91-92-93-94-95-96-97-98-99-Mitsubishi-TD05-20G-Turbo-Eclepse-DSM-EVO-GSR-VR4-T3-Flange/170511878

Hahaha wow, since when did walmart start selling turbos?!?? I may just end up going that route, that's a very decent price. Does it bolt up to the stock turbo manifold, or I think the stock manifold need a little machining to run a t3 flange iirc?

I have mine on a 90+ manifold, yes it requires machining flat. I've been on quite the journey with it, I recently Microsquirted the car with much larger injectors only to find the stock fuel system needs an upgrade to max this thing out. I've blown 2 head gaskets this year trying to tune it.

I have mine on a 90+ manifold, yes it requires machining flat. I've been on quite the journey with it, I recently Microsquirted the car with much larger injectors only to find the stock fuel system needs an upgrade to max this thing out. I've blown 2 head gaskets this year trying to tune it.

Wow! How much power do you think you're putting to the wheels right now? What do you think you'll make after a fuel system upgrade? By the ways how's the quality of that turbo?

An '88 b230ft has 9 mm conrods. It might not be the most suitable engine for a 19T or holset, unless you replace the 9mm conrods with h-beams.

Wow! How much power do you think you're putting to the wheels right now? What do you think you'll make after a fuel system upgrade? By the ways how's the quality of that turbo?
Only 215hp 235 ft lbs, I haven't had any problems with the turbo, I'm shooting for around 300. I was running on lh2.2 for a long time maxing out some brown top injectors.

Back