• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is this 1987 Volvo 240 a good buy?

Leleedler

(First post here, so pardon if this is in the wrong forum)
About a year ago I bought a 1984 Volvo 240 and It wasn't my greatest purchase, and turned out to be a huge project when I was hoping it could be an extra daily driver with some more personality that I could have on top of my 2015 Volvo V60 Polestar. I first saw that car and fell in love, figured out that it was in really bad shape, realized I had payed too much, and felt really really stupid. It still didn't phase my love of the great Volvo 240, I've been hunting for another one and on Craigslist here in Colorado and this California car popped up and I got in contact. He seems like a great owner, I asked many questions to all my questions regarding possible issues I had with my past 240 he said that all those things worked. He said things like: "The Air conditioning blows cold"-"the rear wiper works great"-"no engine issues"-"no exhaust leaks"-"All lights work"-"no stability issues on the highway"... All of these issues my last car faced. The owner is in California and is willing to deliver the car all the way to Colorado which is awesome but, at
the same time if I say I want him to I have to buy it. I'll leave some pics of the car, and I can get the owner to answer any questions and he's been awesome about it! (I noticed the rear left bumper, I don't know how bad that is...) I got a price of $3200 lined up and the car has 220k miles, also it has original paint and no rust. Glad to post here I've been lurking for a long time and it'll be cool to see what this awesome community thinks! :)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/U8mv1vJRjaZCwkjA9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fHBJMoD7ofLETFKt8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qhRsmYd6G5UjndGF8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ueYQmySKvgdmmo4x5
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8FwckdyynQE86stp9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6eKF218EKFE255jn6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xuW85PxEdsJwUxo57

So a few things.

1. I think a lot of people on here would argue it's hard to get one of these cars to quit. So "good buy" is in the eye of the beholder.
2. An 87 with working AC I'd want to know if it's running the standard R12 system with R12 refrigerant (which is basically impossible to get now) or if it's an R12 system CONVERTED to R134a, or if it's an entire R134a SYSTEM.
3. It looks like the passenger fender has an odd fold in it.
4. Check to see if the rear defroster works.
5. 87's have garbage wiring harnesses
6. $3200 is probably a "fine" price, but it's nothing that I'd personally ever pay. Consider that for not much more you can find something on here that's been "in the family" for a while and has all sorts of awesome stuff done to it.

You could plausibly also find a perfectly mechanically sound Volvo that just needs paint and paint it for $1k?

That said... it may be worth defining what you meant by "huge project" from your last purchase. Pretty much every Volvo I've owned/seen will need new suspension, fluids, general maintenance (cap/rotor/plugs/wires) timing belt, valve adjustment and fuel injectors. Plus... every Volvo has had a broken odometer... so the mileage it reads is just a game.

Still... they'll all work fine. But if you think you'll be able to just buy a 240 and not have to pay attention to such things... you're out of your gord (as they say).

Also welcome haha :)

Without seeing the car in person, or, 10X as many high resolution pictures, it's hard to put a value on it. The color white hides all kinds of defects in the body. I wouldn't pay $3,200 for that particular car for several reasons. As mentioned above, the wiring is questionable on an 87 or older 240. The car is also running LH 2.2 injection which is hard to find parts for these days. It has manual windows, which I don't like. No air bag. Older AC system. Etc, etc. I suggest you look for an 89 or newer 245. Preferably, a 1990 or newer so you get the benefit of the larger connecting rod B230. There are so many 240s still on the road it should be easy to find a newer, better optioned 245 close to the price this car is going for.

I can also deliver depending on where in Co your at, pay for the gas, and paid in full. To be honest if you can't find a descent 240 closer to your area, your not looking hard enough

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. So, I have been in contact with the owner over the day and I had him take it to a mechanic for an inspection and they said it was in amazing shape, they said: No rust, has clearly had oil consistently changed, and that it is mechanically very sound. This was good news, With the A/C, the mechanics said that it is working very well and blows cold air, this lines up with the owner's reports, I don't know anything past that. I also asked the mechanic for some information regarding the body and he said it was in great shape, no big dents, although he did note that the rear left bumper is hanging off which I saw aswell, I don't know how severe that is but, it seems to be the only issue with this 240. That weird fender thing I have no idea about and the mechanic didn't mention it, I am confused about it and I am going to ask the owner for some better photos of it but, unfortunately the owner who is in his 80s can take a while to get me photos of information. I was in contact with the owner today since I was doing this mechanic thing and afterwards he said he would take $3000 which I think is a bit better. Speedn_j I appreciate the offer but, I don't know if your car is "the car", I am looking for leather as well as something a little closer to OEM, Also I looked around this forum and Craigslist and this one was the one in the best shape that I could find that wasn't dipping into the $10,000+ range. I appreciate all the info guys, and I am aware of a lot of these potential issues and I am still looking at other cars in similar to better shape as this one but, so far this one's been the best bet. Also, should I be worried about that bumper in the rear? Nonetheless, Thanks so much!

So a few things.

1. I think a lot of people on here would argue it's hard to get one of these cars to quit. So "good buy" is in the eye of the beholder.
2. An 87 with working AC I'd want to know if it's running the standard R12 system with R12 refrigerant (which is basically impossible to get now) or if it's an R12 system CONVERTED to R134a, or if it's an entire R134a SYSTEM.
3. It looks like the passenger fender has an odd fold in it.
4. Check to see if the rear defroster works.
5. 87's have garbage wiring harnesses
6. $3200 is probably a "fine" price, but it's nothing that I'd personally ever pay. Consider that for not much more you can find something on here that's been "in the family" for a while and has all sorts of awesome stuff done to it.

You could plausibly also find a perfectly mechanically sound Volvo that just needs paint and paint it for $1k?

That said... it may be worth defining what you meant by "huge project" from your last purchase. Pretty much every Volvo I've owned/seen will need new suspension, fluids, general maintenance (cap/rotor/plugs/wires) timing belt, valve adjustment and fuel injectors. Plus... every Volvo has had a broken odometer... so the mileage it reads is just a game.

Still... they'll all work fine. But if you think you'll be able to just buy a 240 and not have to pay attention to such things... you're out of your gord (as they say).

Also welcome haha :)

By big project I mean, my quote on parts to get it back to where I'd be comfortable with it was over $6000, it needed new wheels and tires, all new seats, new carpets since they were withering away, new transmission since it wasn't ever shifting right, full new brake system, new interior wiring, new exhaust, and that wasn't the end of it... It was too much and I didn't have enough time. Luckily I sold it for exactly what I got it for. $1000

That 87 probably isn't leather. It's most certainly vinyl... tho looking at the pics it's hard to tell. I thought all the 240's had buttoned leather. Regardless that interior is in crazy good shape.

People ask me all the time about this deal or that deal when it comes to cars. Honestly... it doesn't matter what WE would pay. It matters what YOU would pay. If you like it and feel comfortable with it... go for it.

If you find someone that knows 240s... you'll be fine. But $3000 is Porsche money. haha

That 87 probably isn't leather. It's most certainly vinyl... tho looking at the pics it's hard to tell. I thought all the 240's had buttoned leather. Regardless that interior is in crazy good shape.

People ask me all the time about this deal or that deal when it comes to cars. Honestly... it doesn't matter what WE would pay. It matters what YOU would pay. If you like it and feel comfortable with it... go for it.

If you find someone that knows 240s... you'll be fine. But $3000 is Porsche money. haha
Good life advise my friend! But, then again who's getting a Porsche for $3k!? Haha, thanks... I'll just go for this car, I really just want an interior in that condition and a car in great shape and I'd pay $3000 even if some people here wouldn't!

Oh god man... the whole internet is LOUSY with $3k Porsches.

It's like a GD Top Gear episode!

I almost picked up a 944 for $800 but the seller changed his mind after I gave him a deposit

:roll::roll:

* 914's used to go cheap....then disappeared...
I am actually pretty aware of the disappearance... I wanted one as a college student and almost bought one... A year later and ZIP they're expensive and much harder to find!

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. So, I have been in contact with the owner over the day and I had him take it to a mechanic for an inspection and they said it was in amazing shape, they said: No rust, has clearly had oil consistently changed, and that it is mechanically very sound. This was good news, With the A/C, the mechanics said that it is working very well and blows cold air, this lines up with the owner's reports, I don't know anything past that. I also asked the mechanic for some information regarding the body and he said it was in great shape, no big dents, although he did note that the rear left bumper is hanging off which I saw aswell, I don't know how severe that is but, it seems to be the only issue with this 240. That weird fender thing I have no idea about and the mechanic didn't mention it, I am confused about it and I am going to ask the owner for some better photos of it but, unfortunately the owner who is in his 80s can take a while to get me photos of information. I was in contact with the owner today since I was doing this mechanic thing and afterwards he said he would take $3000 which I think is a bit better. Speedn_j I appreciate the offer but, I don't know if your car is "the car", I am looking for leather as well as something a little closer to OEM, Also I looked around this forum and Craigslist and this one was the one in the best shape that I could find that wasn't dipping into the $10,000+ range. I appreciate all the info guys, and I am aware of a lot of these potential issues and I am still looking at other cars in similar to better shape as this one but, so far this one's been the best bet. Also, should I be worried about that bumper in the rear? Nonetheless, Thanks so much!

That isn't leather. It is vinyl interior. Just so you know.

OP, just wondering, do you do your own repairs? $3k delivered sounds reasonable for a very clean unmolested car. Easy enough to do your own stage 0 then you know what you have. TB cars can also be good buys as they are maintained (hopefully ) by enthusiatic owners. Only downside is some are prone to spirited driving.

:nod:

That need $7K+ to be Porsches again.

Haha. EVERY car we get our hands on needs $7k worth of work. An $3k Porsche probably puts out more than a $3k Volvo though.

If we go to $5k however that's when you start buying the hilarious V8 +T swaps and dying in a fire.

To do that in a Porsche you gotta spend like $8k for a 928.

Back