• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

92 240 - Backfire and Stall

15A

World's Oldest Brewery
Got an email from a guy I know with a 92 240. Said he was merging on an expressway - romped it and the car backfired and stalled. It would restart but run real rough like maybe 3 cyl? Nothing hopped up in this except (I think) a T cam.

No codes are thrown - I thought an AMM but he's swapped a good one from his other car in and still nothing.

Car is clean, low miles and no corrosion. Issue sound familiar to anyone?

TIA

I had an injector randomly quit on me. It's definitely alarming. Have your friend systematically unplug either injector connectors or spark plug wires.

I think the solenoids in the injectors are similar to windings in a motor in that heat can damage the insulation (possibly just a coating of epoxy), shorting the inductor, reducing the inductance, and thus reducing the ability of the injector to open against the fuel rail pressure.

That's my most recent experience with 'sudden' rough engine issues

Funny you say this. He had 4 new injectors installed and one was DOA - literally stuck shut. I referred him to the place that refurbs them. Guy at this place asked 'did they sit long?' - he said about a year. Guy says that these injectors are 'style 472' - newer injectors are stainless and dont have this problem - but these older ones aren't and do. He suggested if you have injectors that will sit awhile to make a pigtail from an old injector connector and tap it to 9v....make them click to keep them from sticking.

So the place fixed the 'set'.....but makes me wonder if this isn't the same one or maybe was a bad batch to begin with.

Thanks.

My Plan B idea is his belt skipped a tooth and his timing is off. His belt is fairly new (dont think its even to the point of retensioning the tensioner yet - if he even ever did that). I sent him a boatload of pics of a motor I just did showing the marks and how to check it.

Dunno....got too many of my own issues ATM to drop it all to mess with this :)

A history with the injector makes me think that's what's going on.
Mine stuck shut and reopened with the 9V trick, but I don't trust like that. Ordered another set, and now keep the old 4 in the trunk as roadside spares.

'fool me once, shame on the injector. fool me twice, shame on me'

My 240 (LH 2.4) backfired, bad enough to bend the throttle plate and mess up the boost gage.
Knock sensor was to blame. Before I found this it would run rough, though was hard to start since this condition made it run rich. Maybe some hose is leaking from the backfire too.

Back